Smiths Fuel Gauge To Tank Sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smiths Fuel Gauge To Tank Sender

Many years ago my father decided to repair a leaking petrol tank.
    As soon as he got near it with a naked flame it exploded, turning it from a flat oblong into a round ball with lots of holes where all the rivets had been ripped out.

Be careful.......

Comment

I so scared of that happening when I cut the hole for the sender that I filled it with water just to be sure
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by philcoyle View Post
        I think we are missing the point, which car manufacturer would even spend a vast fortune developing any vehicle to find out it may go boom when the tank is almost empty? Having to pass the safety regulations of many countries, if anybody can give me just one incident of a car bursting into flames, just one out of the millions of cars where a spark happened inside the tank creating an explosive situation ,just one. Then all of us driving in-tank pump and fuel injected engines will be living fear of turning the ignition on. One more fact to wind up the imaginations of many, the in-tank pump runs continuously when the engine is running at 3 to 5 bars, roughly 45 lbs per square inch up to 75lbs psi depending on vehicle and engine size

I think you hit the nail on the head. A manufacturer certainly wouldn't produce a car that would go boom as you say. But this thread was discussing mixing and matching components from different sources. That was my reason for expressing caution.

As for in-tank fuel pumps. Different kettle of fish completly. The electrical side of the pump is hermetically sealed so no chance of fuel or anything else for that matter getting near it. Unlike old school tank gauges which are basically a reostat with the winding exposed to the contents of the tank.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Further to my previous thread - Installation of fuel sender
          Took the Cabrio out this afternoon , fuel gauge seems more accurate overall than with previous sender unit but is still subject to the fuel sloshing around the tank.
          I doubt there's a simple solution and to be honest that aspect doesn't bother me too much. Without the tank having baffles I guess it was a sure thing that's what would happen.

Comment

The spiyda system allows for sloshing and as long as you follow the instructions it is very accurate.

No need for tank out or drilling, believe me it does work.

Adrian

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
            Got this on and works well with the Marina instrument.

Have also got there little device for the tachometer, again works well.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
              The spiyda system allows for sloshing and as long as you follow the instructions it is very accurate.

No need for tank out or drilling, believe me it does work.

Adrian
              Another vote for the Spiyda. I have one to connect a Ford sender to an ETB gauge.

Also, has provision for user programmable low level warning light or buzzer, although I don't use them.

Comment

Working...
              X