Seat recesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat recesses

Hi All, Can anyone give the dimension of the seat lowering trays that Marlin used to offer or are there any secondhand ones out there?

Re: Seat recesses

Hi Roger,
    The only knowledge I have is from looking at some others cars at meets etc.
    From what I can remember the lowered floor was a welded tray that picked up the flanges of the original floor in place of the ply floor.
    One car had a whole floor section lowered by about 5 or 6cm
    the other floor was the same at the back of the seat tapering up to normal floor level just infront of the seat.
    I believe some later cars actually had deeper returns on the tunnel and chassis that did the job from the start.
    It would be quite easy to construct a lowered floor yourself but I would definately have the corners welded to stop flexing.You may have to have a think about the seat belt mounting thats on the tunnel side.
    Another way is to reduce the thickness of the seat cushion.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Roger
      I have a LWB Roadster and am 6ft 4in so I lowered my seat trays when I rebuilt my Roadster. My seats are already short of padding which does not matter too much as my bottom has extra! I am lucky in that I work for an engineering company so I was able to get our fabs shop to knock me up a couple of steel trays. The car was originally fitted with aluminium trays that effectively lowered the seat mounting points (home made by the previous owner I guess) but I needed more depth to help me sit as low as possible and see through, rather than over, the screen. The steel, whilst adding weight to the car, also gave extra strength and rigidity. My design is approx 40mm deep at the front and 60mm at the rear and has a lip all round the top that enabled me to bolt it through the plywood floor at the front and back and through the angle iron supports on the transmission tunnel and chassis sides. The tray finishes approx 50mm forward of the seat front mounting points. A couple of things to watch out for if you decide to fabricate your own trays - be careful to maintain a comfortable angle of the seat bottom if you have fixed seat squabs (I was too ambitious with depth at the front and had to pack up the seat mounting. Also, ensure that you extend the tray enough to enable the seat to move front to back fully and to be able to access the lever to do so. Finally, take your time over speed bumps!
      Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

I am in the process of doing this to get my 1991 marina kit through IVA, once I have this sorted (just welding to do)I will post the info to this board. As is normal with me just as I get to the point of no return I think of a better way to do the job!

Phil Dorren

Comment

Hi Roger
          A late reply to your question. I have seat lowering trays that where supplied by Marlin. They have a recess of 20mm which when coupled with the thickness of the ply that is removed from the floor produces a drop of of about 32mm. If you would like full dimensions I can measure and email to you. With a bit of luck there should be 2 photos one seat pan.

I have an early Marina beased roadster that has never been completed and will need to go through the IVA process. I am at a rolling chassis stage at the moment welding in seat belt mountings. I would be interested to hear how you get on Phil.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X