Brake Servo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Servo

I suspect my brake servo is malfunctioning, when I depress the pedal slightly there is a hissing noise and the fluid level has dropped. I have yet to check the external circuits but feel it is unlikely there are two problems at the same time and the exhaust is not smoking as I would expect if the fluid was disappearing into the servo.

Does anyone know where the servo can be repaired? Does anyone know where another can be obtained? If the anser to both is "don't know" what is the solution?

Ta Roger

Re: Brake Servo

Hi Roger,
    Try http://www.oldpartstore.net they may be able to help or advise.
    Before buying one check thet the little filter is OK .

Cheers
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Roger,
      Contact me by tel or email and problem solved.
      Regards
      Danny.

Comment

Hi Roger,
        Try http://www.newfordpartsonline.co.uk/index.php?product_id=2075112&option=Prod_detail
        Regards
        Martin

Comment

Hi Roger,

A hissing sound suggests a broken membrane in the servo - your brakes should feel "harder" in this case but no fluid level change.
          If the level dropped since your last top-up the fluid (a year ago) your brake pads might be thinner so some of your fluid is now in the brake cylinders. If the level drops each time you use your brake (and not comes back when you release the brake) then you have a leak. If you can not see the leak it might be invisible (for some time) inside the servo. But as the servo is a quite big pot I think it is almost impossible to fill it to the level of the vacuum line so the fluid would reach the engine resulting in smoke.
          If you have any questions you can email me at romeks44(at)gmail.com - i get emails instantly and check the forum occasionally.
          Sorry, if my suggestions are too obvious for you.
          Regards
          Roman

Comment

OK Problem solved - the problem was a weeping brake pipe leading into the N/S/F caliper. I had carried out a fair amount of work on the brakes during the summer [do you remember that] and although the brake pipe was not loose it was not tight enough to prevent a very gradual loss of fluid - some months later. The fluid ran out of one of the chambers in the reservoir so pedal travel increased but the other system was still working. The hissing noise from the brake servo has disappeared [now there is less pedal travel?], the servo and brakes operate correctly.

One small point, the car had had an MOT the day prior to this happening and the tell tale fluid on the brake pipe and tyre was obviously not considered to be important!

Thanks for all your help.

Roger

Comment

Working...
            X