Rear wood/metal Carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wood/metal Carrier

Now that it can go out onto the road I need to put a rear parcel rack onto the boot lid area.(Handbags and such things) I had one on my Morris Minor but its too big for the Marlin. I can see that the standard one seams to be hinged on the rear bumper but is there a simple bolt on one similar to the old Morris Minor one ????????
    Attached Files

Re: Rear wood/metal Carrier

Here's some pics of the one I made for mine.
    It's flat alloy. strip and woodem slats, bolted to a couple of standoffs on two of the spare wheel mounting bolts.
    Been on for a few years now and has worked well
    Attached Files

Comment

I think that the 'Roadster' luggage racks were hinged on the bumper to allow quicker access to boot mounted spare tyre as the bottom fixings would otherwise be very low down, close to the top of the petrol tank and perhaps inaccessable.
      With your side mounted spare this is not an issue.

There are many possibilities but have a look at early MX5 ones that fix through the boot rather than clamp to the boot sides. It might be difficult to find a rack that has small enough centres to fit the curvature of the Roadster rear.

There are some entries on this forum, search using luggage or boot rack.

You may end up making a customised one from an off the shelf item. I would consider a bit of reinforcing inside the back of the car.

Comment

Some MGA used a rack with a straps that spread the load.
        Have a look a MGAgru.com although I think this is USA site and may be expensive. You may be able to borrow a design,
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks all most interesting
          gregg

Comment

I made one to attach to the tow ball, using an attachment from Bak-Rak. http://www.bak-rak.com/
            Attached Files

Comment

I like the though Don but I think the good lady might object to being so far away from the heater !!!!!!
              Best Gregg
              Lots on eBay go in via this : Item number: 200557238386

Comment

The one fitted to the back of my car above the one fitted to the tow bar, is identical to your one that you picture. It may be a little smaller. I had to bend it to fit the curve of the bodywork. They are available in chromed alloy and stainless, from Europa and the like.

It should be noted that I don't have a spare wheel or a spare wheel well, so mine fits nice and snugly.

Comment

Working...
                X