Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks, springs and aeroquip hoses

Hello,

I'm in need of some advice on spares for my early SWB 2.8 Cologne engined Cabrio

One of the front AVO's is leaking, and I was wondering what the preferred option for replacement is these days, AVO or GAZ which I believe finished as original fitment? My notes from having an AVO rebuilt about 10 years ago is a part no. AVO N974, an open length of 13.5" and a closed length of 10.75". Anyone got any more recent info. in terms of what to order from either supplier?

Also, I'm thinking of taking the opportunity of uprating the original front springs. I've got springs which I calculate and measure as being around 155lb/in rate, having a length of about 160mm when the car is stood with no-one in it. I calculate this spring rate would give a wheel frequency of about 80cpm, which is a bit 'saloon car', and I've also always felt they are in danger of bottoming under compression, as I can only measure about another 40mm total cumulative free space between the coils when the car is standing. I've calculated a rate of around 200lb/in to 250lb/in would give a wheel frequency of 90 -100 cpm which is a bit better, but I think I've also seen values of 300 - 350lb/in quoted, which would give 110 - 120cpm freq., which seems quite high for a roadcar. More applicable to a Sportster than a Cabrio? Any comments welcome on this as well

Finally, the aeroquip/goodrich stainless brake hoses I fitted in 1994 are fine, but the plated end fittings are really quite rusty. Does anyone have details of hose lengths etc. for ordering, as well as suggested supplier

Any help / comments on any of the above appreciated,

best regards,

Andrew

Re: Shocks, springs and aeroquip hoses

Hi Andrew
    I have just got some AVO's from Demon Tweeks. I emailed AVO and they sorted out which ones I needed. They are for th Triumph Special. But I was going to use the Cabrio front ones, until I found the top mount didn't work.
    The shocks in the DT catalogue 140/095 sound close to your lengths. Have a look on their website and see what you think. Or give me a ring/email
    Cheers
    Derek

Comment

Re: Shocks, springs and aeroquip hoses

Andrew
      See entry dated 30 August 2010 in cabrio section regarding spring rates.On a personal note I replaced the shocks on my previous Cabrio with Gaz units with a notable difference

Comment

Working...
      X