Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine choice

Message originally posted by: Jay
    I've recently purchased a roadster, body and chassis are in fantastic condition, howerver mechanically and electrically it needs work....alot of work. So using the oppurtunity to replace the 1300 marina engine i would just like to know if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement engine, ideally nothing over 1.8? many thanks p.s sorry about the empty message!?

Re: Engine choice

Message originally posted by: Jim Mountain
    Have a look at Ford Zetec 1.8, if you don't want it you can scrap the fuel injection and run it on twin webers (depending on the age of your car), the g/box can be supplied by Caterham, or have a look at motor bike engine options. Good Luck.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
      You need to limit your choices to those engines with the induction side of the engine, carbs or injection, on the offside, else they foul the steering column. I am assuming here that the car is Marina based. Some Fiat twin cam's are this way round and come with a 5 speed box.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
        Don's right, you need an engine with the airfilters on the offside unless you want to start fiddling with re-routing the steering column. The Ford Duratech has air intakes on the passenger side as well IIRC.

Personally I'm looking to replace my Marina B 1.8lt engine as it only has 3 bearings on a forged crank with newer MGB versions having 5 bearings & a cast crank (much stronger). That way I can increase the power in the standard manor (better flowing head, higher lift cam) and then put a super-charger on and have a significant power increase (up to about 160 ft/lb or torque I believe). I don't want to replace the engine type as I like the simplicity, the ease of getting parts, the support you get from communities and the sound!

Be warned however that the standard rear-axle will have to upgraded as it simply won't take the torque that can be offered by any fettled engine. Look towards either a MGB rear axle or a Capri 2.8i (which I'm lead to believe is 1" wider).

Comment

The FIAT 2ltr twincam was my choice - looks great and has loads of power (about 115bhp in std form). If you go down that route, I've designed out a lot of the possible problems so I'd be happy to pass on details. The gearbox tailshaft (with the rubber doughnut that takes out a lot of the shock) fits the Marina propshaft as well. There's one for sale on Ebay at the moment - with 5speed box and side draft Dellortos - PERFIK!

Comment

Working...
          X