Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Screens

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    What does everyone do to stop wind buffeting into the cabin? I notice loads of people have side screen which jut out - do these work on LWB's?

I was actually thinking of creating quarter windows curving up from the dash which could be opened/closed and modifying the mirror location/door as needed...

This is another one of those things on my list of "to do's" you see.

Re: Side Screens

Stefan,

I took the quick and easy route by making up a pair as in the Roadster Tech Tips. They are crude but they work on my LWB, one of these days I'll get around to making a better pair with sidescreens!

Comment

Aha, I was wondering where the design came from! I'm going to index Technical Tips after my exams are over so that'll help me in this situation!

Cheers.

Comment

Resting one's arm along the top of the door (as opposed to tucked inside) makes quite a difference!

I'm not not too keen on the aesthetics of screwing perspex screens to the to the car - has anyone found any nice looking screens that work?

Comment

Chris I fully agree, but my right ear is getting serverly battered driving the car, and for long runs it's most uncomfortable (and nigh on impossible to speak to a passenger > 60mph).

I've an idea brewing in my mind which involves the side screens as described in Technical Tips (and the attached image by Peter), but making them hinged - that way I could create a set of quarter lights. Modify the doors to fit and when the roof is on (rarely) I still have openable windows! It's just dependent on the physical size of the perspex.

Comment

My roadster has side screens and I think they look quite good. They are on hinges which works really well and they do stop alot of the buffering from the wind. Also I have YKC solid side screens that fix onto the door and they have a window in them and when you've got the roof off and those on you hardly get any wind buffering at all!
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Ben - have you got some pics please of the all the above, hood on and off? Do the solid side screens still zip into the hood? Cheers

Comment

I saw these elaborate side screens at Donnington in 2003. Sadly I didn't take details of the reg so can't trace the owner. Maybe the owner will make contact?

I am at the stage of designing some for my Roadster and would like to volunteer an idea that I'm working on. Most (if not all) solutions offered still depend on zipping the top of the screen into the hood. My idea is to make a small section frame that follows the shape of the hood and has a zip attached so that when the hood is raised, this is zipped into place. The sidescreens can then be designed to fit against the (semi)fixed frame just like in a production rag-top. This would not stop the hood being rolled up as the frames would be flat and would be easily transported in the car. If Hugh (of the outstanding and multi-award winning Roadster at Stoneleigh) would like to get in touch, I'd be happy to work with him (or any others) on the design..... peter.oldland(at)tspplc.com

I propose to a similar setup to the attached pics for the actual sidescreens.

Further ramblings, there are enough ally sections out there to be able to make a good seal and even provide a gutter so that the rain runs off in a controlled manner.

Comment

Oops!

It seems I didn't make the attachments small enough - better luck this time.

Comment

These look nice, proper glass too - pricey though!
                    http://www.cobraspares.com/windscreen.htm

Comment

Pete I have to confess that the ?elaborate? side screens you saw at Donnington do belong to me .

If you want any help or advise on to the production of these side screens give me a call. Telephone 0113 2941135
                      I will be at Cheshire Kit Car Show held at Capesthorne Hall, near Macclesfield, Cheshire on Sunday May 22nd
                      YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

These are some photo's of my YKC solid side screens that zip into the current hood and also the wind deflectors for when I take the side screens out. Note the wind deflectors are on hinges.
                        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Don't buy the ones from Europa - they are too small! I used the hinges then made some as from Tech Tips and they work brilliantly. Why don't I listen!

Comment

Working...
                          X