Boot floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot floor

I am unsure of the best way to enclose the boot are (its the same as a roadster on the romero). I am concerned there may be some legislative requirement for a bulkhead or something?
    I see from photos that there is a back panel behind the seats but should there be a floor to cover the petrol tank? If so how is it attached etc? Any help gratefully received as always.

Re: Boot floor

Hi Cameron,
    I have had a few roadsters and some have had a floor as this helps with storage and others have had a panel hiding the tank. I am not sure about what is required for IVA.
    If you send me your email I have a few picture that may help.

Comment

Drop round and have a look at mine if you need Cameron.
      Basically a piece of carpeted ply fitted onto some angle fixed to the cross-member & a couple of blocks bonded in the furthest reaches of the tail moulding, with cutouts to clear the filler pipe & seat belt mounts.
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Unless your car requires inspection for IVA I think that what most of us seem to have is as Jez has described.

If IVA is required then from my reading, the tank should be in a compartment separate from the passenger that does not need to be sealed off from vapour, only to prevent liquid leaks into the passenger compartment.
        I think the difficulty is the interpretation of the word 'bulkhead' and whether a bulkhead is a structural part of the car or a readily removable panel.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/?shownews=124 provides a copy of the relevant regs.

Comment

I guess the work bulkhead is meant in the RAC blue book style wher the aim is to prevent any liquid or vapour transferring from the tank to the assenger compartment. On my cabrio I have an aluminium boot floor and before that an aluminium panel at the back of the seats.
          I think on the Prototype I will endevour to panel the tank in with Aluminium.
          I'm not sure how all this is supposed to work with an open car and the fuel can get round the outside of thecar thro the filler cap!

Comment

Hi Cameron,
            Ithink what Steve Green is saying in correct as I know that you have to pass IVA. There is a Sportster builder who completed MOT/IVA/Reg last autumn and he would have been in a similar situation to you. Please contact me direct if you need his details.

Comment

Useful stuff chaps thanks. the bit I see from the IVA manual (thanks Steve) is A Fuel Tank must not be located in, or form part of the passenger compartment, or other compartment integral with it and the bulkhead that separate the passengers from the fuel tank must be free from holes through which any escaped fuel could travel.
              So if I make a floor that is effectively sealed to the rear tub I should be ok?
              Jez I may take you up on that and copy what you have done but yes please Lee any photos would be great (cfurnival at btinternet dot com). Tim I will get back to you on that member details too.

Thanks to everyone who replied :-)

Comment

Working...
              X