Heater motor woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater motor woes

My heater motor, a Smiths Industries beast, model FHM1504/1 is threatening to disintegrate by the sounds of it. I'm loathe to switch it on in all but the coldest weather. Local Motor factors chuckle and look at me pityingly when I seek their help and I'm running out of 'Form, Fit, Function, replacement options. I'm wondering if anyone has one of these motors lurking in the back of the garage and would be willing to part with it. Greatful for your thoughts.

Cheers Alan

Re: Heater motor woes

I presume you are talking about a Marina heater motor.
    I would guess that there would be many similar motors across the BL range whether from an MGB or Classic Mini and much in between.

One possibility is to call Wayne on 01495 312942 (South Wales) as he was disposing of a lot of NOS parts. He was looking for a buyer for all his spares rather than separate items but still might help.

Comment

Try http://www.comlec.co.uk/
      They list an FHM1202 and claim to be able to repair anything...
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi Alan,
        I have a spare old motor out of a Triumph herald unit single speed if its any use email(in pit stop) me your address and I will post it to you. Ben Caswell
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi and thanks all for your helpful thoughts and in particular, Ben for your kind offer. I took your steer Jez and spoke to the technical dept at Comlec and it seems the 1202 is the same motor as mine but without the mounting bracket. My motor splits in half and the bracket is transferable. The good news is that when I re-assembled my motor I must have over-tightened the two assemby nuts because, not only did the motor turn reluctantly, all the play went out of the spindle. I backed the nuts off until the fan spun freely and, lo and behold, no play at all. The motor ran smoothly - great result. Called Comlec back and asked if there was a tourque setting for the nuts, they said no but suggested that there must have been excessive end float and my adjustment had sorted it out. Bargin result - quiet motor at no cost. So thanks again, it would hve been a harder nut to crack witout your help.

Cheers Alan

Comment

Working...
          X