Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cabrio steering heavy.

John
    You are right about the difference in the sumps, I had forgot that the M50 is the other end. So having just looked under mine I do not think that any shape of ARB could be fitted unless the M20 was moved back, or the mounts moved forward and the ends of the bar altered. Sorry Alan.
    Danny.

Comment

Re: cabrio steering heavy.

Having just read this thread, I thought it might be useful to note the position of the sump varies on M50 engines, depending on whether they are fitted in the 3 Series (E36), or 5 Series (E34) BMWs.

5 Series have the sump at the rear of the block
      3 Series have the sump at the rear of the block

The E36 (3 Series) has the sump at the rear, and does allow the appropriate Sierra ARB to fit (just!) under the shallow part of the sump in a standard Cabrio set up.

The E34 (5Series) has the sump at the front, which certainly prevents any normal Sierra ARB being used.
      However, if compression struts are used this is not an issue, and a big benefit then is that the 5 Series sump is much closer to the front axle line making it less vulnerable to the ridge type sleeping policemen, whereas the 3 Series sump locates the sump further to the middle of the chassis is is much more vulnerable to any type of raised road/curb.

Comment

Working...
      X