Marlin on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marlin on Facebook

The reply above prompted me to check the clubs constitution...

Club Constitution

1. Name

The name of the Club is the MARLIN OWNERS CLUB.
    2. Objectives

2.1 To promote and encourage the building, ownership and enjoyment of kit cars based upon the designs originated by Marlin Engineering, Plymouth and its subsequent derivative companies.
    2.2 To encourage the improvement of the standard of kit car construction by providing facilities for the exchange of news and technical information between the Members and between the Club and those companies as described in 2.1 above.

2.3 To represent and safeguard the interests of the Members at kit car events and at other venues, committee meetings, etc. as appropriate.

This seems to suggest that a focus on "providing facilities for the exchange of news and technical information between the Members" is a primary objective of the club and the main reason I come to the club.
    The lack of functionality (and sometimes interest) on this forum has driven most new builders to use other forums such as Madaboutkitcars.com were you will find an active group of builders all falling over themselves to welcome and help new builders. There has been a small resurgence of Marlin Sportster builders this year and very few postings on this forum.
    I have no desire to join Facebook, but happy for those interested to use it for the 'social side' of this club which doesn't seem to feature strongly in the clubs constitution.

So what is the committee's official line on this then?

cheers, Peter

Comment

My pennywoth,
      The web site is OK for it's intended use. Contact between members who build, service and drive their cars. If one wants to spend all day staring at a screen, fine. Others of us actually get out and about dealing with physical tasks. A magazine is far more use to these persons as it can be read during a coffee or tea break. White elephant? No.
      My son is an IT geek and has lost his contact with the real world so I do understand where Chris' instincts come from.
      Last reply first is not universally standard. POC, PoP to name just two of many. If a technical issue is raised on the forum it is better to read it from the start as it can regularly sink in to many repeats of previous solutions and answers if the most recent reply appears first. Facebook is a classic for this. Ours is a technical site as well as a social one so I am happy to scroll down answers in order if that is what I want to do. My fingers have not atrophied yet!
      I think it all depends on whether one sits indoors for hours glued to a screen or one gets about and carries out many physical tasks. Virtual v real ! we will never happily merge the two.
      Get out and fix the cars then drive them. It's a car club!
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hello Everyone, Its only me again. I don't want this to go off the rails here. The Facebook page is NOT there to replace anything. It's my small and rather insignificant gesture to get the Marlin name out to a wider audience. I would like the world to see this is an active club and worth joining. I understand if people don't want to go onto Facebook, I'm not on there through choice, I had to sign up to start the Marlin group. The web site is past it's sell by date, it would be a waist for the club's money to try and upgrade it. We need a new web site”a” for better security “b” the club needs to take control of the site and do away with need to ask someone else to make small changes for us. And a whole host of other reasons. I'm going to shut up now.

Comment

HI Bob, the process is quite straightforward: canvas the members for ideas for inclusion into a new site (already done I believe)draw up a specification and put it out to tender to web designers you know have experience in this field. If the club wants a professional solution then that's how its done in business. The committee then meets and considers the merits of the tenders (including cost) and makes a decision. Simples.

Personally I love getting a paper copy of the mag too :-)

Comment

Hi Cameron
            Sue and I have already put together a specification, a lot of it based on comments from members, who ether got in touch with us, or through conversions Sue and I have had with members. This went out to three different web builders ( trusted professional people ) for quoting. If anyone who came to you, had given Sue or myself a ring before they spoke to you, I would have gladly forwarded that spec on. It is probably true to say that there are a lot of members who do not own a PC or have internet access, which makes the mag the only tool of communication for the whole club.

Part of my work is buying IT kit from vendors, the tendering process is well known to me.
            Bob

Comment

All

The website is only on hold while we agree who is doing the work and for what price. It is this that stalled progress.

Apologies that you are being kept waiting.

Sue

Comment

I have to agree that it is a shame that the MOC seem unable to agree on how and when a new web site should be developed.
                Certainly the forum 'as is' was a revalation when it was first created but now it is beginning to creak and looks very outdated by comparison to others. It does have the effect of putting people off joining the MOC.

It is the Forum that has become the lifeblood of the club and its gradual demise, as personal contact drifts over to the Facebook group that is not funded by the MOC will compound the demise.
                There must be technical ability in the MOC, people like myself, who have the time and knowledge to be able to setup and run a phpbb forum. Can the club not make use of that unused rescorce rather than further pressurise the exising committee.

The MOC needs to decide where the future lies.
                Stagnation will result in a poor club image and discourage new members and will eventually lead to its demise.
                Investment of the clubs resources into technology, that not all established members understand or want, is the way to attract new members.

We are in the hands of our Committee.

Comment

Interesting replies, I primarily use the madabout web site like Peter, where there is an abundance of Marlin owners who give their help and advice freely to newcomers like me. It is a modern forum and reasonably user friendly, whereas this site was ok in its day but is showing its age now. As Steve says the phpbb forums are the norm now and if he is an expert, maybe he will offer his services to our committee to provide this much needed update to our club. As said on the other site, I belong to the BMAA ( British Microlight Aircraft Association ) and we have a glossy mag, but it comes at a cost. We have 4500 odd members and the annual membership cost is approx £70, so we would significantly need to up our membership subscription to have a glitzy mag like that. We also need a mag to cater for the non pc membership. So we need to think before we critise what we have. Everything costs money are you prepared for a big hike in your subscription.
                  Food for thought.
                  Dennis

Comment

Just want to say that the fact this topic is being debated shows that the club is very much alive and that people are as passionate about it now as they ever were :-)

Comment

I love my Roadster and I appreciate the unpaid work our Committee carry out on our behalf. Yes, the website is a bit clunky but most topics are covered and there are plenty of experts willing to help us numpties. I spend all day staring at a screen but still enjoy the written word and, therefore, look forward to receiving Pitstop, which is also something I can keep. I think everyone would agree that the club is brilliant value for £15 per year.

I have seen several adverts on Fleabay for Marlins where they say "there is an active and helpful owners club..."

It is an amusing paradox that the members who are not IT literate can not comment on these subjects on here! In a way, this sums up the difficulty we / the Committee have in striking the right balance in our club.

I am sure that improvements can, and will, be made but feel we should keep our comments positive and helpful.
                      Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Quote: Just want to say that the fact this topic is being debated shows that the club is very much alive and that people are as passionate about it now as they ever were :-)
                        --- It is certainly alive for those who read this forum.

Quote: It is an amusing paradox that the members who are not IT literate can not comment on these subjects on here! In a way, this sums up the difficulty we / the Committee have in striking the right balance in our club.
                        --- Right now, this forum IS the public image of the MOC, not the meetings at Stoneleigh or elsewhere that I for one have never attended. The forum is here 24/7 rain or shine.

Quote: I have seen several adverts on Fleabay for Marlins where they say "there is an active and helpful owners club..."
                        --- If I was a vendor and wanted to sell my car I would say this too. Interestingly a recent eBay Marlin advert said just that, but the vendor had never been an MOC member. Now there is a paradox.

Comment

Steve, why do you always come across as argumentative? Simon was only giving his opinion and to use Quote before your response each time is not very nice. Surely you can converse with someone without appearing to be nasty. Everyone is allowed their own opinions and I read them all but surely this is not the way it should be done. Adrian

Comment

I am surprised at your 'tone' Steve as you are one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members on the website and have helped me in a very non-patronising way on several occasions.

Yes, let's analyse and improve the club, the website and Pitstop, but please do it politely and with regard for the fact that the Committee do it for love not money.

Have you put your name forward for election to the Committee?
                            Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

some body on the committee don't like me because when ever i post a relevant reply it always gets removed, this just the kind of thing people are on about when they say your approach to new comers is a bit of putting ???????

Comment

Simon (bolton), please contact me at stevejgreen(at)btopenworld.com

Comment

Working...
                                X