HELP - Rear Axle needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - Rear Axle needed

I post this on behalf of Dave Peet, the new owner of Q249 FDF. The diff in the rear axle has noisily just let go, apparently it looks like a "bullet" has gone through the back plate.
    The vehicle is based on a 1.7 Ital, so I guess from all previous comments on here that the ratio should be 3.63/1

Do you have a spare axle, and if so can Dave have it. He lives in Tewkesbury, but distance is no real problem.

He is in contact with Lee Hunter, and has been in the process of joining MOC for a while, so please treat him as a member.

Mobile for him is 07768 844181

Re: HELP - Rear Axle needed

Ebay item 130497080701 but not sure if 13,17, or 1800.

Comment

Thanks to all who have responded, either direct to Dave P, or to me.

Looks like he now has several options to explore

Rgds DC

Comment

I would be interested to see pics of the damaged caused.
        Was it with a standard spec engine, and what was the state of the oil?
        Depending on damage it would be possible to weld a plate over the hole and fit a recon diff centre.
        There is always a risk fitting second hand parts that you might simply be buying another problem.

Comment

More help please! The axle I had hoped to source turned out to be 4.1/1 and I need a 3.63/1, so I'm looking again. I'm a Marlin novice, so any helpful suggestions, however obvious to you veterans, will be much appreciated. For Steve Green - I'll send you a photo when I get the broken one off!

Comment

David, I went through all this trauma last sept. when my diff packed up. If nobody has got a spare for you, you have got the choice of Ebay (I paid £35 plus collection) or Rimmer Bros for a new one, p/ex about £350. If it comes to the latter, you can have my old case as a p/ex job if yours is damaged. Dolomites are the same, I'm told.
            Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Hi David,I kept my old one instead of reclaiming the deposit from Rimmers as a backup. Now that my new one is in and working you are welcome to it for the £50 deposit. It is in fairly good condition, the reason I changed it was due to the power of my Fiat engine and it whined a bit.
              Is the damage to your casing weldable or has it scrapped it?

Comment

Axle info.

The Dolomite axle, whilst containing the same basic components, has a different casing as the suspension is turreted not leaf. Ratio's need checking as only the 1850 manual had a 3.63.

The axle casing for a 1.3 Marina is identical to a 1.8 Marina. There are no other axles that use the same case.

It is possible to modify a Dolomite axle for a Marina. Usually done only if fitting a Sprint axle for its lower ratio and power handling ability. It uses a completely different diff centre.

Diff centres of different ratios appear in Dolomites (not Sprint) Triumph TR7 4 speed and Marina/Itals.

There are differences in the half shaft/hub keyway. early ones were 3/16", later 1/4". Unless you plan to swap hubs around this is not a problem as they are otherwise identical.

Many of the early Caterhams and kit cars used the Marina/Ital axle as a donor. Some parts are available from the few historic Caterham parts suppliers that still exist.

If you do get a second hand complete axle. Swap the halfshafts with your old ones, you have a pair of bearings of known condition, why swap them with those that are unknown.

Its perhaps worth retaining any unused parts as spares, one day someone will need them.

Good luck in your search. The parts are out there.

Comment

I did a complete write up at
                  http://www.fastmarinamagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4284&p=38655&hilit=marina+axl e#p38655

Let me know if you can't access it.

Comment

For Hugh Cumming: Your axle sounds like my best bet so far. At least it will get me back on the road quickly. Which end of Cornwall do you live? My landline is 01242-620049

Comment

For Steve Green: Thanks for the info Steve. I've tried to register with "fastmarina" but haven't had my code back from them yet. Could you possibly email your article to me at dave_tudor(at)btinternet.com

Comment

Working...
                      X