Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"To be [free] or not to be [free] - that is the question..." (Hamlet Act 3, scene 1, 55–87)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "To be [free] or not to be [free] - that is the question..." (Hamlet Act 3, scene 1, 55–87)

OK, I haven't gone all theatrical, although I can be a drama queen. This is a hypothetical question about free (or cheap) things.

You will likely guess what I am referring to but I'd like some feedback from you guys.

If you want a new item, anything at all, and you have more than enough funds to obtain it, would you opt for the cheapest item or a more expensive one?

Bear in mind longevity of item life, post sales support and maintenance, quality and overall functionality.

I could ask more but I'd like to have initial thoughts on just this issue.

The more responses the better so I can gauge a trend.

Many thanks

Re: "To be [free] or not to be [free] - that is the question..." (Hamlet Act 3, scene 1, 55–87)

"You gets wot you pays for" is my mantra. Assuming that you have a choice of items within your available budget
    then it is, in my experience, false economy to necessarily go for the cheapest.

However, there is the "Rolls Royce" syndrome at the other end of the scale - the most expensive is not always best
    and could well do a lot of things that you do not really want or need, so why pay for them ?

Regards
    Fence-sitter DC

Comment

Re: "To be [free] or not to be [free] - that is the question..." (Hamlet Act 3, scene 1, 55–87)

Try pricing from dead cheap/free to extremely expensive. Go to two thirds of the price, pick a supplier of the goods and then negotiate a discount including aftersales service plus bells and whistles. get references from other users/customers (beware some Ar***s types though!)
      Don't follow my example by purchasing whatever your heart fancies at the time and suffer the consequences or not later!
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Buy cheap buy twice. Always go for the best you can afford,always ask for a discount you'll be amazed how often you get one!

Comment

C'mon Sue! You have a Berlinetta so you already know the answer. Once again "Follow your heart!"

Comment

All

The product we are talking about is not an easy subject. Some of it is made up from “standard”or off the shelf software. The foundations you chose are all important if you want something that is reliable( ask any house builder ) and has a similarr price for any given spec (obviouss ) The thing that tends to push up the price up, are the frilly bits. This where the argument really start, the question that Sue is asking, do you want plain and boring, or do you want something that stands out a bit and feel proud to own. Before you answer the above, stop for a moment and contemplate the thing in your garage( or in the street ) in other words, the reason why you belong to this club.

I've already suffered the slings and arrows.

Comment

I try to look at value rather than price (high or low). With a personal preference for things that are well made that tends to set my "value" judgement towards the upper end of the price spectrum which usually coincides with a product of longevity. In terms of computer systems I have experienced many new system introductions and suggest that the high spec but proven base product will cause less pain in the long run. The key is to work your needs around the high quality base product rather than try to modify it to your perfect dream. Once that game starts the costs escalate and the problems expand exponentially. Oh dear, does this sound like a "Victor" statement! Go for base product quality and save tears later.
              Pete C

Comment

Confused of Telford here...there are 2 threads which appear to be coming at the same issue (MOC website/forum) from 2 different angles. So, can I ask for a definitive position statement?

To be honest I question whether we need a radically new site in totality...what we do need, IMHO, is a much better forum - but better is a relative term, and there is nothing to say the forum & web site have to be fully integrated.

A website comprising "static" content (keep what we have?) with a link out to a separate forum (maybe hosted elsewhere) would work fine (other clubs do this) and what is it we're looking for that some of the generic solutions don't offer (e.g. phpBB)? I know the advertising on some sites can be off-putting but some of this gets hidden if you log in (hence incentive to register etc).

Maybe if we had a little more information to go on it might be easier to see exactly where the question is coming from?

Jez
                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I've had a little think and look around the net at lots of different clubs, not just kit cars. From my point of view MOC needs a new site, I think most people agree with this, however it depends what the committee wants to get out of it. If you want to be "The Club" then you need a site with the "whizzy" bits, if you want to be "A Club" then you can keep what you have. If it aint broke don't fix it! If your going to go something do it properly and not half heartedly. If you said to any member you can paint your car in black Hammerite aerosol or have it professionally sprayed in metallic black, most of them would go for the professionally sprayed metallic as its a lot better and finishes off the car. Ok Hammerite is cheap it does the job but doesn't look very good. Metallic is expensive but professionally sprayed makes any car look stunning. The short and narrow is, they both do the same job just one does it a lot better than the other. Its the same with a Website or a Club in general. My Exi when finished shortly would have cost just over 51K. It is my pride and joy and everything I have worked and lived for since Oct 06 has been for this one car. I moved and wanted to from the 750MC to Castle Combe Gt's as it is a more modern and has a higher calibre of car to compete against, Radical, Juno, Ferrari, Porsche, Dodge, to name a few. People will go where they can see their membership being used and invested back into the club which they belong to as well as events at discounted rates etc. People want something in return for there money. What is the average age of the MOC What is the most popular Marlin Those two easy questions sum up the MOC, What's Needed; 1) Younger members, 2) More Sportsters & 5EXis 3) New Website 4) More events which the MOC attends on mass like Stoneleigh. 5) MODERNISATION!! Marlin only have the Sportster & 5EXi for a reason, there is nothing wrong with the rest just they are not the "in thing" the Sportster has a modern twist with old style. The 5EXi is just modern. One word which is related to both. MODERN! Fundamentally any club is a business you have to invest into it to get more out of it. You have to move with the times and keep up with the completion. If you don't, there is no point trying as all you are doing is prolonging its failure. This is the personal opinion of Mike & Jon Coombes, other persons views and opinions maybe different.
                  Jon Coombes 22 March 16:33
                  I've had a little think and look around the net at lots of different clubs, not just kit cars. From my point of view MOC needs a new site, I think most people agree with this, however it depends what the committee wants to get out of it. If you want to be "The Club" then you need a site with the "whizzy" bits, if you want to be "A Club" then you can keep what you have. If it aint broke don't fix it! If your going to go something do it properly and not half heartedly.

If you said to any member you can paint your car in black Hammerite aerosol or have it professionally sprayed in metallic black, most of them would go for the professionally sprayed metallic as its a lot better and finishes off the car. Ok Hammerite is cheap it does the job but doesn't look very good. Metallic is expensive but professionally sprayed makes any car look stunning. The short and narrow is, they both do the same job just one does it a lot better than the other. Its the same with a Website or a Club in general.

My Exi when finished shortly would have cost just over 51K. It is my pride and joy and everything I have worked and lived for since Oct 06 has been for this one car. I moved and wanted to from the 750MC to Castle Combe Gt's as it is a more modern and has a higher calibre of car to compete against, Radical, Juno, Ferrari, Porsche, Dodge, to name a few. People will go where they can see their membership being used and invested back into the club which they belong to as well as events at discounted rates etc. People want something in return for there money.

What is the average age of the MOC
                  What is the most popular Marlin

Those two easy questions sum up the MOC,

What's Needed;
                  1) Younger members,
                  2) More Sportsters & 5EXis
                  3) New Website
                  4) More events which the MOC attends on mass like Stoneleigh.
                  5) MODERNISATION!!

Marlin only have the Sportster & 5EXi for a reason, there is nothing wrong with the rest just they are not the "in thing" the Sportster has a modern twist with old style. The 5EXi is just modern. One word which is related to both. MODERN!

Fundamentally any club is a business you have to invest into it to get more out of it. You have to move with the times and keep up with the completion. If you don't, there is no point trying as all you are doing is prolonging its failure.

This is the personal opinion of Mike & Jon Coombes, other persons views and opinions maybe differen

Comment

Well put Jon - spot on!!

Comment

I've used both this site and madabout-kitcars.com.
                      To be honest this site is a bit ancient and creaky in its operation, and although the members here have been helpful when I started posting any queries during my build I found immediate notification to responses, latest postings at the top and general usability of madabout my first port of call after I discovered it existed.

I'd also like to comment there does seem to be a (probably small) faction on this site who stridlently nag those who are not memebers to join up. I've now seen two case where that has lead to alienation of any potential members.

The impression I get from the two sites I use is that one is a staid, old fashioned site where I can imagine the users dozing in front of a fire with their pipe and slippers, or another where there is a set of dynamic young bloods who are getting oth there and doing things. I'll let you work out which category is which.

Its time to modernise.

Comment

Young bloods don't tend to drive kitcars, they can't afford the insurance.

Like previously asked, what is the average age of a Marlin owner - I would guess the wrong side of 50.

Lotsa people aint interested in the likes of 'YouFace' or whatever its called & can't see the point.

I don't wanna spend the evenings staring at a computer screen having stared at them all day for work !!.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Sue, in my humble opinion Mike and Jon Coombes have got it right, and the longer you leave something the more expensive it becomes.

Comment

You don't have to change everything and it dose not have to coast much more than a few quid, just an upgrade to this site will do the job,for instance jazz the front page up a bit, give the members a gallery where they can post full size technical pictures of there own choice cars, to aid others to better understand what they are talking about when describing a problem or cure, and maybe a live chat widget for instant social waffle,also an app to show who is on line at the present time,if your web provider is worth his/her salt then they should be able to provide all this with a click of there finger,AND!! you do not need masses of band width to host hundreds of pictures, FACT,Im not dissing this web page, it works for what it is,BUT a small update can make a big difference, It would be interesting to know what the page is costing the club as it is ???

Comment

also there is a lot of talk on here about price and quality but nobody is actually saying what the want to see on the web site, IE what changes do you want ????

Comment

Working...
                              X