Just a thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought

There have been a few worries about the future of the club raised here and there and what can be done to raise its profile. As we seem to be fairly comfortable in cash terms, what say we buy a Roadster off ebay and donate it to a college or technical school on the basis that they undertake to totally strip and refurbish it as a mech. eng. project and that they can only qualify to take it on if they arrange for a TV production company to film the process. If the concensus is that he idea has legs, is there anyone among our members that knows a producer that we can float the idea past. They could even work towards turning it into a trials car and finish the whole thing by entering it into trial events. If it flew,I would suggest that the money it costs for the car would be insignificant compared with the airtime and exposure and ultimately new members we would gain. Such a project would also grab magazine space.

Anyone concur? It would cost us absolutely nothing until everything was lined up and then we could go and source the car as part of the opening sequences

As I said - just a thought

Re: Just a thought

What a great idea.

I will ask my daughter who is in events management if their is someone she can dig out.

Comment

Good Idea but a better one is if people active on the club website and giving opinions about how to develop the club became members themselves (to atryis200)

Comment

James - do you not think potential members' opinions are worth listening to? Think of them as potential customers, and a business that ignores those isn’t in business for very long.

It’s this sort of precious attitude that puts people off joining – think about it.

Comment

James may have a point.
          How long is someone a potential member? If one can milk the members forum for all sorts of assistance and information over a long period without being a member, why bother joining at all? Of course in this scenario if there are no members to fund the web-site then the site would disappear into one of those advert ridden, populist base level, free-for-all locations.
          It's all interesting stuff isn't it!
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

“milk the members forum for all sorts of assistance” – you are assuming all the assistance comes from members. Well, I’m certainly not the most knowledgeable, but I do have 22 years ownership experience, my car is modernised with a Zetec engine & Type 9 ‘box, new wheels etc.etc. – and I’m more than happy to share what little knowledge I do have with anyone who is interested.

Personally, the MOC offers me nothing and I’d rather give the subs money to charity than to a club that refuses to move with the times on every level.

So if you’re thinking about a Zetec transplant, you won’t talk to me because I’m not a member?

Comment

Come on chaps, it's bad enough you have highjacked my thread, but all this sniping is so far from the original spirit of what I tried to kick off and that was something proactive to raise the spirit and profile of the club. Even if you thought the original idea was a non-starter I don't have a problem with that as long as the response is constructive. I understand we have in excess of 600 members. Surely amongst us there is a talent and a desire to put some activity's together that will promote the club (and please don't mention the website/forum - that has been dealt with elsewhere and doesn't need raising again) So, any other ideas out there that can be thrown against a wall to see what sticks.

Comment

Hi Keith,
                I agree a little bit of etiquette wouldn't go amiss at times.

Back to the subject in hand.
                The (is born) series of programs on Discovery channel were done by i2i Digital Television who are contactable in the Malvern area.
                They have already done A Car is Born being the build up of a Pilgrim Sumo and various other builds which Mark Evans undertook with the assistance of a small film crew and Peter Walker as the producer.
                If something could be got off the ground maybe the finished article could be auctioned for charity.
                May be a pipe dream but you never know.
                Google i2i Digital and contact details are listed.

Regards Austin

Comment

Thanks for that Austin. And on the point of etiquette I have not forgotten that any ideas must ultimately be passed on to Lee for putting in front of the committee. That having been said there is nothing to stop anyone investigating their ideas to establish a more solid background to a proposal before presentation

Comment

Chris, you are obviously bent on arguing with anyone who doesn't have the same opinion as you i.e. a classic wide up merchant. You’re not a member and obviously are a very sarcastic person, why are you even lowering yourself to reply and make comments on something that is clearly below you.
                    Why do you bother?
                    You could do us all a favour and not.

Comment

Adrian, and anyone else who is hell bent on mischief - please open another thread

Comment

Adrian, why have you pasted the same text into multiple threads?

Anyway, to keep on topic, it's a nice idea, but as already suggested, it’s pretty much been done before with several ‘Is Born’ series, which themselves only made small viewing figures, I very much doubt anyone is going to commission rebuilding an old Marlin.

I think we all know the easiest way raise the club profile; it’s just a case of getting on and doing it – without waiting for committee meetings. Don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve never been to a useful meeting… and as a good friend of mine says – when all’s said and done, there’s more said than done.

Comment

Come on Guys, this is not in the interests of the club to be 'having a go ' at each other. Next step will be refusing help because you don't share the same political interests or have an issue with the way you have your hair cut!
                          I would rather be remembered as someone who gave that little bit extra than one who turned his back when conditions didn't suit. And no I'm not a 'born again ' christian before that is thrown back, just someone who beleive that this world might be a whole lot better if we only took the time to consider the effects of our actions, End of lesson.

Comment

Getting back to the spirit of the thread how about a Round Britain run a la Club Triumph & others...? Should appeal to a good cross-section of owners, add in a decent charity or 2 & could make for some decent coverage in the press.
                            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I liked Keiths idea....
                              Many schools and colleges have both Engineering and Media studies department. It might make a good combined project for them.

To draw comparison with the '--- is born' series might not be successful. Mark Evans selected particular iconic design images like an MGB, a Landrover and a Cobra replica etc. I dont think a Marlin falls into the same catagory and would not get past the finance people.

An interesting aside, that I am sure is general knowledge, Chris Dow had his car sprayed by a college. He was part way down this sort of project years ago, with photos but no video.

Comment

Working...
                              X