LE-JOG is ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LE-JOG is ON

Our committee gave the go ahead to organize the relay. So far it will be one way but if enough of you let us know you would like to be involved then we can make it two way. The event will take place over the August Bank Holiday weekend. The chosen charity that we will be attempting to raise money for is Help the Heroes

The Mayor of Penzance has agreed to start the relay by handing over a Pasty to the first car(s)

I was concerned about the sparsity of members in the Scottish highlands but in the event that we cannot find enough local drivers, Lee & Adrian have volunteered to cover the whole Scottish section (both ways if need be!)

In the interests of safety, if they do have to drive a lot I would prefer it if they didn’t have to drive very much at night. Sunset will be around 7-30 in the south and 8-30 in the north so Mayor of Penzance willing we are aiming to start the event at around 5-30 pm on the Friday evening. That way, if more members come forward and we can do the return journey it can all be done over the weekend.

Very roughly, at present, changeover times will be as follows:

Leg No. Changeover
    Location Distance Duration (hrs) Changeover time. * = dark

Lands End 5:30 PM
    1 Bodmin 62 1:53 7:23 PM
    2 Exeter 65 1:12 8:35 PM *
    3 Bridgewater 46 1:21 9:56 PM *
    4 Chippenham 56 1:47 11:43 PM *
    5 Evesham 55 1:37 1:20 AM *
    6 Bridgenorth 44 1:17 2:37 AM *
    7 Knutsford 68 1:55 4:32 AM *
    8 Harrogate 70 2:35 7:07 AM *
    9 Bishop Auckland 58 1:43 8:50 AM
    10 Hexham 35 1:01 9:51 AM
    11 Haywick 52 1:20 11:11 AM
    12 Queensferry 63 1:55 1:06 PM
    13 Pitlochry 61 1:12 2:18 PM
    14 Inverness 89 1:52 4:10 PM
    15 Wick (J O\'G) 120 2:50 7:00 PM

The above times and distances have been calculated using Google Maps (specifying non-motorway

At Stoneleigh, quite a few members indicated their willingness to get involved but I didn’t get their names. Can you email me with your name, the leg you are willing to cover, a home phone number and a mobile number please

For each leg we need someone with local knowledge to identify the most suitable changeover location, preferably somewhere where folks can wait in the warm and have toilet facilities. The aim, if possible, is to have at least 2 but preferably 3 or more cars on each leg.

We need to nominate a “leg leader” who may know of members in their area who don’t have access to this forum and may wish to take part. I would also like them to let us know the name and contact details of their local paper. At each changeover we need someone to phone home and get the time entered on the forum so that we can keep folk up the line notified of progress. The leader may well chose a different route to that proposed by Google Maps.

The current proposed route pretty much precludes folks from the east side of the country. If you fall into that category and are interested please let us know so that we can investigate a return route that takes in the A1 M4 shape

Since Stoneleigh, I asked Brian Gadd to check our position regarding our public liability insurance and the club cover is not affected. You do need however to check with your own insurance company that taking part doesn\'t compromise your own cover in any way. If you are with Footman James they have told Brian that it is not a problem and have wished us well with the venture. I tried to get a similar blanket statement from Graham Sykes and whilst they have given me the all clear personally they have made the point that we are all not necessarily with the same underwriter so you will need to check. Don\'t forget to make the point that it is an un-timed relay and it will take as long as it takes an that is no different than driving to meet up with fellow members for a lunch

We are contacting Help the Heroes to get their support and advice regarding raising sponsorship

Remember - without your support and commitmment this event will fail

If you would like to take part please email me at keithh44(at)sky.com and let me have your home and mobile phone no. and your town and the leg(s) you are willing to cover. I will need to pass your phone details to the folk running the leg either side of you

Re: LE-JOG is ON

Well done Keith, you already know the legs I am willing to do. Let’s hope it takes off proper. Let’s get out there and get some publicity. Adrian

Comment

Good luck with the venture.
      Its a shame its all western UK so minimum three hours drive from my home, so I will not be driving any of the route.

Presumably someone will set up a charity account for donations etc. Ease of payment will be a priority so electronic transfers of some kind will be preferable. Paypal perhaps?

Comment

Couldn\'t we zig zag a bit if east members want to take part ? I guess it depends on who offers to be involved. I\'m happy to receive updates on the journey and keep the forum busy.

I\'ll investigate setting up an electronic sponsor page and am also liaising with Complete Kit Car to get some publicity from them and maybe participation.

Comment

I did consider an East to West run from say LE to Manston too.
          The LE-JOG could take in the \"spine\" of England by working up the A30 in the SW to A303 West of London and up the A1 giving both East and West peeps a shot at it.
          I also dreamt of a round the coast run where, once again, all could take part. This would be a nightmare to organise though, and would take a week to relay around England Wales and Scotland.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Sue, Steve, I have called for for folk living in the A1 M25 M4 regions and if we get enough folk putting their hand up then you may well get your wish.

I have spaced out the table so hopefully this time it will be more visible

Leg No. Changeover
            Location Distance Duration (hhmm) Changeover time. * = dark

Lands End 5:30 PM
            1 Bodmin 62 1:53 7:23 PM
            2 Exeter 65 1:12 8:35 PM *
            3 Bridgewater 46 1:21 9:56 PM *
            4 Chippenham 56 1:47 11:43 PM *
            5 Evesham 55 1:37 1:20 AM *
            6 Bridgenorth 44 1:17 2:37 AM *
            7 Knutsford 68 1:55 4:32 AM *
            8 Harrogate 70 2:35 7:07 AM *
            9 Bishop Auckland 58 1:43 8:50 AM
            10 Hexham 35 1:01 9:51 AM
            11 Haywick 52 1:20 11:11 AM
            12 Queensferry 63 1:55 1:06 PM
            13 Pitlochry 61 1:12 2:18 PM
            14 Inverness 89 1:52 4:10 PM
            15 Wick (J O\\\'G) 120 12:50 7:00 PM

Comment

Does anyone know what the hard space character is for our forum. The ordinary soft space charaters created by the space-bar are patently getting compressed

Comment

Keith

Can you translate that last post?

Sue

Comment

Let me try a little test

In this line the letter X at the end has 3 space bar spaces before it x
                  and in this line it has 7 x

Comment

The space character from the space bar traditionally has the character value 20 and multiples will often get compressed by text editors and word processing software as in the above test which means you can\'t use it to space stuff out. There is often a \'hard\' space character in a character set that doesn\'t get compressed

Is this it (10 spaces to x) x

Comment

Try Alt 255.
                      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Keith
                        Why not just put space dash space to provide separation where required.

Comment

Working...
                        X