Differential Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Failure

Further to my/Dave Cunningtons post \"rear axle wanted\" in March, I\'m pleased to report that I\'m back on the road. Many thanks for all the advice and especially to Hugh Cummings who let me have his spare diff. There is so much damage I can\'t work out which bit failed first!

Re: Differential Failure

My theory for what its worth is that the pinion bearings wear and allow the pinion to tip up under load and that in turn twists the teath off the crown wheel.The resulting debris drops down under the crown wheel but there isnt enough room so it punches a hole in the casing.

I had a Vitesse do this just as I drove off from the house so you could see the bits that came out of the hole laying in the road.

The other possible failure is the small planet gears break up once again failing to go under the crownwheel.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Well done Dave, glad it was OK.

Comment

It must have gone with quite a bang and my first thought of a loose bolt may not be right. Still, all is now resoved.

As we cant post pics (yet) I have posted Dave\'s on Fastmarina.
        http://www.fastmarinamagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4478#p41323

I know some of you have not been successful at registering there.
        Dave: I have PM\'d the fastmarina admin and they have read my request to add you but I have not had a reply yet.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Having looked at Davids pics. it looks like the diff. pinion cage has let go probably due to the pinions jaming and splitting it.
          Certainly went with a bang!

Comment

i,ve blown 5 diffs in my marina axle!4 times the pinion gears seized momentarily onto the pinion shaft,which then breaks off the roll pin holding it in,it then flies out and jams everything up.once the main pinion gear ripped its own teeth off.i now weld the pinion shaft in,no more failures so far!i guess i might drive my marlin a little hard at times,...its excessive wheelspin thats causes the pinion shaft to seize.Trials and sprints dont help

Comment

Working...
            X