Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brakes problem

Hi again Fred,
    I looked at my Berlinettas (dual brake line system) and the reservoir tank slopes slightly just as you describe, probably a Berlinetta thing. The filler cap is on the bulkhead end of the reservoir tank (rear end).

Comment

Many thanks to all helpful answerers. I hope my brakes with your help will satify MOT person ?.

Comment

Has it passed MOT?

Comment

HI LIZ,
          Saving the days up not due till Aug, but will submit last wk in July.
          Will advise !.
          Fred.

Comment

Hi Liz,
            As you asked if it passed ?. Unfortunally NO.
            Handbrake during test released a supprized lack of ratchet movement from 3/4 notches to 9 due to 30yr old cable. Also exaust leaking on downpipe within wrapping bandage + Tempreture gauge apparantly too hot to touch ( its always been 98c) so confusion on that !.
            Fred

Comment

A breif comment on wrapping tape.
              Roadsters with Marina engines have cast iron exhaust manifolds. The general consideration has been that wrapping the manifold may reduce engine bay temperatures slightly but are more likely to cause the manifold to crack as it will be operating above its unlagged temperature. Peter Burgess has the same though on the MGB and is probably the original source.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Fred, I have replied to your handbrake problem on your other post.
                I have a side exhaust fed from the original cast iron Sierra pinto manifold. Do not lag the manifold (it will crack) but I have had no problems with the SS lagged down and side pipe. It is lagged to only to stop heat rising up to the brake resevoir. The exhaust will be considerably hotter than 98°C when one thinks that the exhaust temp at the exhaust valve can be over 1000°C!
                I have an 82°C thermostat in my car and after warm up it runs at about 90°C on the gauge. At 102°C my leccy fan cuts in and quickly reduces the temp to 90°C again. This only happens if at rest, in a jam or suchlike. Pinto likes to run between 90°C and 100°C.
                Good luck friend, you will soon be on the road!
                Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Fred.
                  Sorry it failed MOT. Do you mean the actual guage is too hot or the reading? I would have thought about 90oC was about right.
                  Regards Liz

Comment

My exhust is a 4 port racing big bore type with single pipes joining only at connection to exhust cross over pipe. They are laged sepperatly.
                    Tempreture gauge was hot to touch at reading of 95/98c when electric fan reduces it to 90c.
                    My rewire of these gauges from fire seams to have now cured glass temp as well as many other problems builder has given me grief over.
                    Now passed but referal to petrol aero filler cap rubber perishing over entry hole.
                    Thanks everyone
                    Fred.

Comment

Working...
                    X