A life threatening experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A life threatening experience

Though not \'Marlin\' related I thought I would share the following experience.
    while driving our other car [Saab convertible] on Sunday A.M. from home to Loughborough a front coil spring fractured and the uncontained spring tore through the inner sidewall of the tyre at about 60 mph.I was fortunate inthat I managedto bring the vehicle to a halt without further damage to myself or the car.
    On investigation[I work in Metallurgy] there were two fractures, one of which had been present for some time and a second which was a result of the then increased loads imposed on the remainder.
    At no time was there any indication of the original fractue but had I carried out regular checks on the suspension with the vehicle off the ground then it may well have come to light.
    The bill for two new tyres [I replaced both] and a pair of springs came to £350 which is nothing compared to that of your life.
    This is a not uncommen problem on todays vehicles it would appear and in this case the car is 5 years old with only 45000 miles on the odometer.

Re: A life threatening experience

Hi Alan pleased you are ok, but scary stuff, my Mother once had a R reg Clio and while it was parked in the garage one day we heard a large noise and wonder where it had come from. on closer inspection a small amount of dust came from the front wheel arch and it turned out that the front spring had broken and that was standing still.

Comment

Hi Alan,
      Pleased you are okay, I hear of broken road springs a lot these days. What is the cause? The quality of the spring? road conditions ?
      Danny.

Comment

Thanks for your concern guys. Quality seems to be the major issue with poor treatment after the spring is formed. Proper heat treatment/shotpeening would relieve most of the stresses inherent in the manufacture.In cidently coil springs will fail from the inside radius as that is the area under the most stress. It may be interesting to perform some hardness tests on the pieces I have and see what comes out.

Comment

I\'ve had to replace both front springs separately on the Focus, in the last couple of years. Maybe I was fortunate, but it barely affected the handling, and I only found them when investigating a clonking noise! Are Fords that good? I put the problem down to speed humps and poor road maintenance.
          Dave

Comment

Hi Alan,
            I had a similar experience a few years ago with my Audi 100 Coupé S, quite a scary experience. That\'s why I drive Berlinetta. Judging by the ride I don\'t think they have springs!!

Comment

At an MoT of my Berli about two years ago the inspector noted that half the top coil of a front spring had separated. He must have eyes of a s**t-house rat! I replaced both front springs after this scary find. (Burtons front Cortina springs 2\" shorter than normal - perfect).
              I\'m pleased that you were not injured Alan. Nasty stuff!
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Alan: Like all of the above pleased you are OK.
                Have you considered contacting Saab, are they aware of the probem, and have you potentially purchased and fitted springs that may suffer from the same problem.

Comment

Steve
                  At present I have not contacted Saab, but judging from internet postings I am assuming they are aware of the problem as are other manufacturers. With regard to the new springs that have been fitted you are undoubtably correct in assuming that they may well suffer the same fate.Regretably in order for myself to carry out the required metalurgical tests and to examine the microstructure of the material would render the item unfit. I guess that I\'ll have to put my trust in fate or the Lord whichever you happen to believe in

Comment

Alan
                    We had one go on our kids Fiesta when it had done 50,000 miles. The Ford dealer advised fitting two new springs - but I thought that was just to get us to part with more money. Two months later the other spring went too! Moral is - always change springs in pairs!
                    (And have a little more faith in your local Ford dealer)
                    Mike

Comment

it is a regular problem on the pigtail springs Vauxhall have used for years i had a mk1 cavalier coupe that ate rear springs, and changed countless on astras and later cavaliers. and if you glanse at the road side you will see lots of bits of spring scattered about!!!

Comment

I recently put my TT in for its MOT, one of the rear springs was broken and had to be replaced. But it may have been broken for some time and had no adverse affects, the car was obviously resting on the shock absorber. Garage said its a common problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X