Correct oil for differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct oil for differential

Both the Triumph and Marina diffs use EP 90 oil with the spec of GL4. However the oil on offer at most outlets is GL5.
    There is a difference of opinion as to the suitability of GL5 in older transmissions as it has higher levels of additives that may attack the bronze parts of gearboxes and diffs, especially at higher temperatures.
    One part that is bronze and works quite hard in the diff is the thrust shims behind the planet gears. Is this the reason we have had a rash of diff failures recently?
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Re: Correct oil for differential

It's a debate that seems to be fuelled by internet lore during the past five years or more, and its now very difficult to get back to the truth of the matter.
    The information I have suggests that the problem is temperature related and it is unlikely that a domestic use transmission gets hot enough.
    I think the failure rate is more likely to be caused by age, many of these diffs would still contain remnants of their original 30 year old oil, I doubt if many diffs have been drained, since they don't have a drain plug, and cleaned thoroughly at any time in their lives, so normal wear and tear is the ultimate cause, rather than any new oil added in the past five years.

Having said that I would suggest using the lubricants originally specified by the manufaturer. But this denies any of the technological improvements that may have happened during the past 30 years.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi guys,
      Slightly off topic but I have used the gearbox and back axle additives for decades. They really do what they claim and help older gearboxes and axles run smoothly and silently. Just add the contents of a small bottle of the Krause compound to your oil.

KRAUSE LABORATORIES
      5 NORTH STREET
      WICKWAR
      WOTTON-UNDER-EDGE.
      GL12 8NQ
      GREAT BRITAIN

or by phone 01454 294735 / 07951 173348

or email krauselabs(at)btinternet.com

Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Guys. I live about 5 miles from these people, I will drive over tomorrow and see what it's all about.

Comment

Hi Ben,
          This sort of problem cropped up in the 60s when additive rich oils were introduced, because oils were no longer drained - and failures did occur. It did not take long for the manufacturers to change their oil specification so this did not happen [then]. I wonder if the reason for recent diff. failures is most of our rear axles are pre historic and the build up of rubbish might be being picked up causing a nice grinding paste for the gears and bearings. Oh dear I am talking about my axle! Roger

Comment

When I rebuilt my axle I fitted a drain plug as the crap that was lying in the bottom of the housing was amazing.
            I also change my oil every 10k or so. For what it costs it gives peace of mind and if there are any metalic bits in it at least you have early warning of a problem.
            Attached Files

Comment

In the past I have found the remains of the thrust washers in the bottom of the casing but they wasnt from the one that was in the axle at the time!
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

That's when a magnetic drain plugs are a waste of time.
                Hugh; did you weld a boss onto the axle case or just drill and tap it?
                MOC member since 05/97
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Just drilled and taped it Steve and kept it as near the lower edge as I could. I found that because the outside is not flat I've had to use a large softish washer to seal but there's no leaks. I also wrap plenty of PTFE tape round the plug.
                  It's its 21st birthday this year and i've treated it to a new diff from Rimmers. To be honest, when I took the one I rebuilt 21yrs. ago out I was surprised how little extra wear there was since I put it in. I think the extra oil changes and the fact I added mollyslip helped. Dave Peet got my old one for the Rimmers deposit.
                  I also modded the axle breather so that it has a filter in it to keep out the crap.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think I would have prefered a welded boss, that's the lowest point for ground clearance and vulnerable to damage. I like the idea though and if I ever take my axle off again (unlikely) I will follow your lead.

A picture poses a thousand questions!
                    Your handbrake cables look non standard, twin cables in front of the axle rater than single, behind, I presume you rotated the backplate carriers to route the cables away from the shock absorbers rear mounted shocks?
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Completely non standard!
                      It's a stainless cable that goes from one brake drum lever, round the pulleys on the diff. to a pulley on the handbrake then back the same route to the other brake drum lever.
                      Some pics to clarify.
                      Works very well and is all self centering.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I rather like the look of that.
                        When fitting my Sprint axle I looked at some similar options especially to give more clearance around the shocks but now I have changed from drums to discs on the back I have modified MGF/Rover800 twin cables to a hybrid MGF/Marina lever.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Hi Hugh,
                          Who are "Rimmers", what do they do as I need a new diff. I went on their website but it did not like my search for replacement diffs.

Thanks Roger

Comment

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-TKC2619R
                            Here you go Roger

Comment

Roger; If you can access it, try this http://www.fastmarinamagazine.com/vi...p=38655#p38655 for info.

or email me at stevejgreen(at)btopenworld.com and I can send you a copy.
                              Last edited by stevejgreen; 16-01-12, 09:20 PM.
                              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                              X