Headlamp Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlamp Bar

If anyone is interested, my local engineering workshop will make a stainless (316 grade - better quality to resist salt corrosion)headlamp bar, with laser cut ends and headlamp mounts for £65 each.

[EDIT: 9th June 2012 : I can now supply these polished at £50 inc P+P - see later photos]

I can vouch for the quality being very good, but polishing will be left to you. This is easy enough if you buy a polishing kit and are prepared to get dirty! The finish can be brought up to chrome standards quite easily. If you want extra headlamp fixings, this can easily be accommodated too, just provide details on a sketch.
    If anyone is interested, please contact me via email:
    Mands(dot)garner(at)btinternet(dot)com or call on 01775 680450
    Last edited by Mike; 09-06-12, 08:04 PM.

Re: Headlamp Bar

Hi all

There are at least a couple of people interested in the stainless light bar, and possibly bumpers too. Rather than get them to do these specials as one offs, I would like to consolidate them into one job lot.
    If anyone is interested, could you please let me know by mid September.
    Regards to all
    Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
      Do they do the rear bumpers? I'd be interested in a couple, if you're still consolidating the order.
      Thanks very much.
      Graham

Comment

Quick Update.

I have now collected a Berlinetta owner's chromed (= rusty!) light bar, and made a jig to replicate and control the legths and angles. I've had a number of stainless steel triangular end plates and light support tabs laser cut (the quality is very good) and sourced some pre polished ("Decorative Finish") tube. I am now just waiting for my local engineering company to weld up the first light bar.
        The good news gets better - I can now supply them at £50 complete and polished, or for £45, and you finish the polishing off - it will take around half an hour if you have a polishing flap wheel.

Would anyone else like to take the opportunity to order a high quality replacement Light bar? - I plan to visit Stoneleigh this year so can deliver there if anyone wants to save on the cost of postage.

I will be getting the current batch welded over the coming weekend so would appreciate any interest by Friday if possible.

Any questions, give me a call on : 07968 835101

regards
        Mike
        Last edited by Mike; 12-03-12, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike,
          A word of warning - not all light bars were/are the same length.
          My Sierra based Berli is fitted with a bar which measures 760mm accross the top, This is shorter, therefore headlamps are lower, that Brian Gadds [ and some others ] Sierra based Berlinettas.
          However the bar fitted in my Hunter is 860mm accross the top and has a set [outwards] of about 25mm.
          I hope that this info has not thrown a spanner in the works
          Good Luck with your efforts
          Tim

Comment

Tim

This is much as I thought!
            I have made two jigs - one for the Roadster, one for the Berlinetta, based on one example of each. I currently have half a dozen Roadster owners wanting lightbars, and a couple for Berlinettas. I will make them to the only pattern I have, and willl have to "keep the faith" that they prove to be compatible with each of the owners requirements. Hopefully the first ones off the production line should start to appear tomorrow.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
              Keep the faith, Marlin did not supply different length bars for the same models. What did happen is that some car builders had their own ideas and made/or had made their own design of bars. There has always been a question about the height of lights on some models, which is one of the reasons. Another is the size of the tab to mount the headlight unit. If chrome light units were being used the chances were that this tab required the hole to be drilled larger dia this did not leave (much meat) Also some builders fitted the bar with the tabs to the rear, and some facing the front so positions vary. What you are doing is fine (one for each model) Mk2 roadster approx 760mm, Berlinetta approx 860mm, and Cabrio approx 855mm. Plastic or rubber triangular shaped shims can be made to adjust to take up different tolerances. There should be no difference in the Marlin supplied item between Cortina Berly and the Sierra Berly. Seems to me that the builder of Tims car may have used a Roadster light bar.
              Danny.

Comment

Hi Danny

Thanks for the reassurance. I now have a second Roadster original light bar and the two lengths are the same - the only difference is the holes are a different size in the end plates.

I have now had a small batch of Berlinetta, and Roadster lightbars made. I have made the tabs on both as per the later Cabrio - as they are more sturdy and larger to allow chrome headlamps to be fitted. They also make fitting the retaining nut much easier for all lights.
                I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Regards
                Mike

Comment

And here they are.............

.....the Berlinetta (860mm) is approx 70mm longer than the Roadster (790mm).

I have a couple of spare Roadster and Berlinetta Light bars all nicely polished and available if anyone is interested ???????
                  regards
                  Mike
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Mike; 19-03-12, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danny.nelson View Post
                    Hi Mike,
                    Keep the faith, Marlin did not supply different length bars for the same models. What did happen is that some car builders had their own ideas and made/or had made their own design of bars. There has always been a question about the height of lights on some models, which is one of the reasons. Another is the size of the tab to mount the headlight unit. If chrome light units were being used the chances were that this tab required the hole to be drilled larger dia this did not leave (much meat) Also some builders fitted the bar with the tabs to the rear, and some facing the front so positions vary. What you are doing is fine (one for each model) Mk2 roadster approx 760mm, Berlinetta approx 860mm, and Cabrio approx 855mm. Plastic or rubber triangular shaped shims can be made to adjust to take up different tolerances. There should be no difference in the Marlin supplied item between Cortina Berly and the Sierra Berly. Seems to me that the builder of Tims car may have used a Roadster light bar.
                    Danny.
                    Hi Danny

How accurate are your measurements?
                    The Berlinetta original I have is 864mm overall, so very close to your figure.
                    However, the two Roadster light bars I have both measure 795mm overall, quite different to your figure of 760mm?

Are there differences across Marks within the Roadster?

Mike

Comment

Hi

There are definate differences between the Mk1 and Mk2 as the Mk1 has a one piece fibreglass wing and the Mk2 has an alumnium inner wing and a separate fibreglass outer.

Adrian

Comment

Hi

Have just measured both my Mk2's and they are 760mm

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                          Hi

Have just measured both my Mk2's and they are 760mm

Adrian
                          Adrian

Thank you for the Mark 2 dimension confirmation. It would appear the two bars sent to me for stainless copies must be from Mark 1s as they both measure 790mm across the top.

Does anyone have a Mark 1 that can confirm this?
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Adrian

Thank you for the Mark 2 dimension confirmation. It would appear the two bars sent to me for stainless copies must be from Mark 1s as they both measure 790mm across the top.

Does anyone have a Mark 1 that can confirm this?
                            Mike
                            The plot thickens..................Merv Daniels has confirmed his is an early Mark 2 with aluminium wings, but his measures 790mm overall. So it is not even possible to tell what the length of the Lightbar will be from the inner wing style!

Adrian
                            Out of interest, what are the light tab hole centres set on your two bars which are 760mm long?
                            regards
                            Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

They are600mm.

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                              X