Headlamp Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlamp Bar

If anyone is interested, my local engineering workshop will make a stainless (316 grade - better quality to resist salt corrosion)headlamp bar, with laser cut ends and headlamp mounts for £65 each.
    I can vouch for the quality being very good, but polishing will be left to you. This is easy enough if you buy a polishing kit and are prepared to get dirty! The finish can be brought up to chrome standards quite easily. If you want extra headlamp fixings, this can easily be accommodated too, just provide details on a sketch.
    If anyone is interested, please contact me via email:
    Mands(dot)garner(at)btinternet(dot)com or call on 01775 680450

Re: Headlamp Bar

Hi all

There are at least a couple of people interested in the stainless light bar, and possibly bumpers too. Rather than get them to do these specials as one offs, I would like to consolidate them into one job lot.
    If anyone is interested, could you please let me know by mid September.
    Regards to all
    Mike

Comment

For the lazy amongst us, is it possibel to get a price for polished bars.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I trust you are aware that the different models have different length lamp bars. Sounds like a cracking offer.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Ben
          Knowing Marlin I suspect no two will be the same for any model!
          Steve
          It is really satisfying polishing them up, but £20 should cover it.

Comment

Hi Mike
            I am very interested in a bar I will put a sketch together and get it over to you. By the sounds of it I had better give you plenty of dimensions.

Comment

Hi to anyone interested.
              I am aware the bars are different on each model, but does anyone know if the three holed end-plates are all the same?

I am tempted to get several extra sets cut as we can then easily get new bars at different lengths welded up later.

Can anyone send hole centre details for the Roadster and/or Berlinetta?
              Mike

Comment

I would assume so because when I collected all the old YKC stock for the club there was quite a few cut and predrilled plain steel end plates/backing plates in a box but on their own, didnt think they would be of much use. Ben

Comment

Have just found one
                  The three fixing holes are equal triangle 52mm centres 8mm holes to take 6mm bolts and the radiused outside edge is 12mm from same centre as bolt hole. Mike if you email(In pit stop) me I can post the one I have here for ref.
                  Only problem I may forsee is that earlier cars from Marlin may be imperial.

Comment

Hi Ben, is there a list of the old YKC stock anywhere?
                    Cheers

Comment

Hi Ben,
                      Just measured the fixings on the lamp bar on my SWB Roadster and the centres as you describe are 2".
                      I purchased the kit in January 1983.Is this early enough?
                      I had the old lamp bar copied in 316 stainless at work about 15 years ago and it still looks good.
                      (10 years a Marina, 28 years a Marlin)

Regards Austin
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Austin
                        Its Mike thats after the measurements. 1983 is about as early as you will get with that type of lamp bar.
                        2" is as near as 52mm as it gets with a Marlin. I would suggest cutting a bit of slack by having slightly bigger holes.

Hi Cameron,
                        There was, but apart from a few odds and sods all the roadster stuff went. Brian Gadd had the Berli bits but I am sure he has sold most if not all of that.

Comment

If 2" or 52mm is in the ball park for dimensions, its not the headlamp bar that needs oversize holes but the wing.
                          large washers on the underside would mask any holes otherwise visible.
                          MOC member since 05/97
                          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks guys.
                            I'll compare this to the one I have for my Cabrio, and if it is similar, I'll get laser cut copies from it, to reduce unit costs and have some spares for the future.

Comment

Quick Update.

I have now collected a Roadster owner's chromed (= rusty!) light bar, and made a jig to replicate and control the legths and angles. I've had a number of stainless steel triangular end plates and light support tabs laser cut (the quality is very good) and sourced some pre polished ("Decorative Finish") tube. I am now just waiting for my local engineering company to weld up the first light bar.
                              The good news gets better - I can now supply them at £50 complete and polished, or for £45, and you finish the polishing off - it will take around half an hour if you have a polishing flap wheel.

Would anyone else like to take the opportunity to order a high quality replacement Light bar? - I plan to visit Stoneleigh this year so can deliver there if anyone wants to save on the cost of postage.

I will be getting the current batch welded over the coming weekend so would appreciate any interest by Friday if possible.

Any questions, give me a call on : 07968 835101

PS - Merv Daniels has requested an additional set of light support tabs be welded on to take his spot lights. This is easily accommodated and adds only £12 to the cost.

regards
                              Mike
                              Last edited by Mike; 12-03-12, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X