members update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: members update

I have forgotten how many times I have offered to assist with the committee and the running of the club. Every time I have been turned down, I wonder why?
    Is it because I can see a progressive future for the club? All I need is someone to propose me, and the rest is easy.

Incidentally the last AGM was unconstitutional anyway. Insufficient formal notice of the AGM was given. The scant content of the published agenda would not have encouraged any debate let alone attendance.
    It's yet another flaw that is glossed over by the remaining committee.

Comment

Derek
      Steve Green's status shows as "MOC Member:Yes" - therefore he must be entitled to raise his hand!

Comment

Anyone who has contributed to the MOC as a whole is eligible.

Any more nominees then??

Comment

If Steve is prepared to give up his time and to stick firmly to the written constitution Objectives 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 (which I am sure he will) then I would support him to being nominated to the clubs organising committee.

Comment

if this club wants to live in the past it will die. like it or not you have to go with modern day technology other wise were doomed just look at triumph motorcycles, jensen cars, ect ect ect.just because we drive old fashion looking cars it does not mean we have to have a old fashion club.this is 2011 not 1911. rant over!!!

Comment

Hi Sue and Bob,
              A word of thanks in recognition for all the work you have done for the club and the joy you have brought to our little band. A tear or two for what we are losing.
              James

Comment

Re members update
                IT appears to me that 14 members are in suport of Sue and Bob on this thread and no one activly against then on that basis one would conclude a majority in favor of their support so with that in mind the chairman should ensure to immediate return of Sue and Bob to cary on their reemitt and then do the honourable thing! secondly brian should get some shorter trousers so he can reach the bottom of the pockets, its our MONEY and CLUB

Comment

Mike
                  I'm painfully aware steve is a member.
                  His Nomination was not!
                  By the way if he or anybody else wants to be Cabrio rep it's theirs.

Comment

I have just read through the whole sorry lot. The purpose of our club is to own and keep running Marlin cars.
                    When I was a member of the VMCC we went through the same sort of trial and it was only a curt message from Titch Allen, the Founder, who pulled people back to the real world of riding and keeping vintage motor cycles.
                    For heavens sake lets stop this in fighting now.We need a revised web site to be in the 21st century so lets have one and be done with it.
                    Sue did a great job and to many was the face of Marlin and we will regret her loss.I hope she feels that she can stand for re election.
                    With regards to Gregs mention of attendance at the AGM. I am sorry but I felt that £50 in fuel added to that the raised costs of camping made it just too expensive.I am glad I did not go as from what I hear there was less of everything.I regret not meeting old friends but hopefully we will catch up in February. We do not need Stoneleigh, they need us.

Comment

Hi All,
                      First, a little background. In 1985 I decided, after a fair bit of research, to build a Marlin Berlinetta. I had already built a ‘beach buggy’ type car for my son and thought the idea of a vintage type sports car was appealing. So did my daughter! So a donor car was found and the kit ordered and building began. My daughter was soon there helping with the build and after about ten months we were the proud owners of a shiny new Berlinetta. Sadly for me, it became my daughter’s car and she drove it every day for work and pleasure and this continues to the present day.
                      In 1990 or thereabouts my daughter joined the Marlin Owner’s Club and attended all the events and functions. Around 1996 or ‘97 she became the editor of your magazine Pitstop – you know her well, she is Sue Roedel. Since day one she has devoted many hours of her time to publishing Pitstop together with supporting all the activities of the club and encouraging new members to join. She has, however frequently known that she did not get the full support and appreciation of some members of the committee who it would seem, from this observer’s viewpoint, think that they are the club, not the membership. You have read Tony Penn’s remarks concerning his efforts with Sue to build your website. It is shameful that some members of the committee have not appreciated the work that Tony and Sue put in to upgrade the website. This has led to Sue resigning as editor of Pitstop. I can tell you this has caused her much pain and literally sleepless nights. I too edit a magazine for the Southgate Amateur Radio Club, and I know just how much work has to go in producing a regular magazine. If you think it will be easy for someone else to just jump in and produce a similar magazine you are sadly mistaken. The committee has made a grave error in allowing Sue to walk away and will rue the day they let it happen.
                      Apparently the whole issue revolves around money. The club is I understand very solvent and has much money in the bank. What is this money for? How about a new website? An up to date website that will attract more members. Tony has done an excellent job and has offered, I understand, to continue, but became exasperated with the attitude of the committee and walked away.
                      Another casualty of the website saga is Bob Cawte; a long standing and hardworking member who has resigned not only from the committee but from the club as well. How silly to let this happen. Those in the committee who allowed this should carefully consider their positions. AGMs will be approaching and election of officers will happen. I see the chairman has now taken on the responsibility of organising the new website. Does he have the necessary experience and knowledge to do this? If he has, why did he not offer to do this before?
                      You may say that I, as a non-member of the club, have no right to make any comment whatsoever about the business of the club. However, as the father of your very distressed (ex) editor I claim the right to comment. I suggest you re-read Sue’s post of 30th July; and as for the chairman’s words about Sue’s resignation – “I would also like to announce that Sue Roedel has resigned from the Committee, I would like to thank Sue for her time as editor and wish her well for the future.” The brevity of that remark defies comment. I would also remind him that she has not resigned from the club after 21 years and will still be around.
                      Mike Roedel.

Comment

I am a not an 'active' member of the MOC but I enjoy this website, Pitstop and my Roadster.

"The Marlin Owners Club is a friendly Club where owners of Marlin-derived cars can get together, share advice and enjoy the company of like minded individuals."

What happened?

I would urge as many members as possible to make a comment on this thread, whatever your opinion. The future of our club may depend on the outcome of this and the silence of the majority is often why these situations arise. If the current Committee are failing in your view, then tell them here. How else will they, and other members, know your views? How can any of us criticise if we do not attend meetings or comment here?

For what it's worth, my view is - we badly need an updated website and the tone of the club, including Pitstop (not blaming Sue at all. Please come back Sue), needs to be a little less clicky. It would be fantastic if more members would become involved in the running of the club, posting on the website and sending in articles for Pitstop.

Perhaps we also need to discuss the future direction (on here, where else is there?) of the MOC to give more clarity of purpose to the website, Pitstop and Show stands.
                        Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Well said Dad, couldn't have put it better.

Comment

I have only been a member of M.O.C. for a few days but have watched and read the forum content for many months while considering buying a Marlin. If one thing has stood out for me on the current website it has been the number of times you see the name of Sue Rodel. It would appear from my observations that this lady has done so much for the club and her contributions have provide me with many interesting facts and general information about the club and the the way it serves its members.Sadly it would appear from recent actions there are some people in high places that know the price of everything but the value of nothing.To allow someone who in my opinion would appear to be one of the clubs greatest assets, to leave their position under duress is beyond comprehension. All "clubs" surely are created for the benifit of the members that pay their dues to be involved in a group of like minded people who wish to retain the identity of the marque of vehicle they own. Without these members,some of whom offer their time and effort to serve on committe, their cars and their collective knowledge there is no "club". I have owned, restored and been involved for many many years with classic vehicles and have avoided joining any clubs along the way, lets hope that the comittee will come to their senses very soon and get a grip on the present situation before I discover that having gone against my instincts I have wasted £17.50. Just to close, thanks Sue for your help last night, I would have laid money that it would be you who came to my rescue.

Comment

Sadly, this has been brewing for some time, so it had to come to a head eventually. If the club was short of money, or there were other projects which needed funding then I could understand the caution. I've not heard of any other projects, and the new website has been on the cards for several years. There may be some sense in not fixing something which isn't bust, but it doesn't mean it can't be replaced with something better. Look out, digital TV is coming! What's that for?

As it is, taking the worst case scenario, and the club folds, what becomes of the money then? 13k between 650 people is only 20 pounds each, so just over one years subs. Perhaps we could all have a free year? Would that really benefit anyone?

I nearly joined the committee a year ago. Part of me is wondering if I could have made a difference, but another part is saying I'm well off out of it. Is there anyone on the committee now, who is man enough to apologise and start again? Or will the silent majority arise and take over? At the moment I suspect neither, which saddens me, but would not surprise me. It could be a long cold winter.

Comment

Whilst I am in print offering my praise and suport to Sue, I am a concerned we are only seeing one side of the story on this forum. The comments from other committe members are now very conspicuous by their abscence.
                                I understand the minutes from several committee meetings will be presented to the membership at large in a report to be attached to the next Pitstop which is due out anytime soon. Until these have been digested may I suggest we all hold back in our forming our views.
                                Once these are made known, I hope a more informed membership will be in a position to take a much more balanced view of the events over the past 18 months.

Comment

Working...
                                X