members update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: members update

Thanks Dane, I too shall continue to use my Marlin for what it was designed for having fun. (When I can get the old steering rack out and the new one in.) I suppose that I have my own group of friends within the club, but I would like to think that we are all inclusive and not cliquey.

Comment

i have seen a reference to comments made on this thread,stating"do they even own or use marlins" and "to me it's just a name".that might refer to me,as a current non-member(but a previous member)or it might not.however,it's hardly welcoming.as one of these young people we hear about,who DOES in fact own a marlin,i would have thought that what i think is in fact relevant as it's people such as myself who are the one's who will be the clubs future.i understand that i have had little involvement in the club and have given none of my time in it's running,and respect those who do so for free,but my voice is still valid.Sue was welcoming and interested in my project,possibly she needed an article to fill space(!) but either way it was exactly the response that interests potential new members-i can't believe you have let her go without a fight.it is only a car club people,if you're that into the politics then join your local council.
      I for one would welcome a full account of committee minutes and decisions,as it is hard to understand what has truly happened,At the moment the absence of response on the forum only proves the luddite accusations...

Comment

"If anyone is struggling with a computer these days then they probably shouldn’t be driving either."

Really?

If we could all try to avoid comments like that this forum, club, and possibly the world, would have a better chance of resolving differences.

Comment

echo that sentiment Malcolm,thing is a great number of the early cars were probably built by people who maybe are not as clever on a computer as the younger geneeration,But I know which category I am comfortable in. I would far rather drive a real car than be a winner on "Mario Kart " computer generated racing.

Comment

Guys, Don't dismiss or exclude the younger element who are considering or have purchased second hand Marlins.
            They might be part of the 'Gamer' culture but at the same time appreciate the heritage and simplicity of a Marlin.

One day your much loved Marlins will end up with this younger generation, or they will be left to gently rust away only to be crushed.

I would have thought the former, where your hardwork will remain preserved is so much more preferable.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Take your point Steve,I am not "dissing"the younger generation but just making a stand for us old guys as many of us still have a contribution to make. In my case the donor cars used to create the Marlin were bread and butter vehicles and I spent many years servicing and repairing these vehicles. I,m 67, can drive, and just bought my first Marlin and dont' plan for it to be my last! And look I'm also using a computer !

Comment

Nowhere do I suggest that the younger element be dismissed or excluded. Nor anyone else. I am against any form of discrimination.

On the contrary I was urging a more inclusive attitude. Even to the extent of allowing people to drive who are not interested in computers.

Comment

its always tricky trying to balance different generations...i have a marlin roadster,and also a games computer.i enjoy them both in different ways.but being in my late 30's perhaps i slightly bridge the gap?i grew up without mobiles,internet,home computers etc,and have taken a little time to appreciate they can be useful.my father is in his 60's and competes in the 750 formula,in fact we have just made a kit version race car for sale,so in a sense i am a kit car manufacturer!.i am "old school" when it comes to engineering,but have learnt to love the easy access to information the interweb brings.i'm sure there are others like me.i don't want to sound disparaging towards older people,as we all have something to offer.all i'm saying is that new intake will eventually be necessary for the survival of the club,and steps towards that should be encouraged.Peace,people,
                  Andy

Comment

Malcolm/Chris, you completely and utterly miss the point.

I’m not young and I’m not a gamer, I don’t ‘like’ computers any more than I ‘like’ central heating, however they both make life much easier and more convenient. And guess what, the new owners will want to change the cars and have a resource to help them: I got sick of the B Series 10 years ago and finally got round to changing it recently; my nephew in his twenties got a ’72 Midget and first thing he did was rip out the engine for modern 16v - both so much the better for it.

In practical terms my point is this; you need a spare part for your car, other than something off the shelf from the factors? – see how long it takes, and how far you get without the Internet and the likes of eBay.

My Zetec conversion would have been quite frankly impossible without the Internet. This is what is so very important and not the (bleep) ‘Lakes Invasion’ as someone else suggested on another thread – of interest to a very regional minority.

Comment

In answer , I have not not missed the point, all I was trying to say politely was how stupid was the original post that stated "if you cant'use a computer you shouldnt be driving"

Comment

Once upon a time none of the MOC members was vaguely interested in Marlin cars.

So the real point here is that everybody who has an interest in Marlin cars, whether a builder, owner, driver, petrol head, wife, son, camper, pensioner, spotty youth, etc etc. infact anyone who visits the MOC website should be treated in the same way by the membership as a whole.

Today, the speed of communication means that like minded people can get together for whatever purpose, whether to source parts and advice or to meet at the Lakes, or any other purpose or place that may have a connection with Marlins, kit cars in general, or any related topic. They dont have to wait 2 months for a magazine to be published and last minute changes in plan can be implemented with a minimum of fuss.

Every individual by visiting this forum declares an interest in Marlin cars as a whole. Each has a contribution to make to any discussion. Some have a lifetime of knowledge, others want to learn. Both groups need eachother for the mutual benefit of the MOC.
                        The internet whether you like it or not is the means of communication of preference today and is probably the first point of contact for newcomers. It should be as welcoming as possible to encourage them to stay.
                        MOC member since 05/97
                        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Chris what on earth are you talking about? Before you reply to a comment it would help if you read it.

As Chris Holmes has just pointed out I was trying to politely point out the folly of comments such as

"If you can't use a computer you shouldnt be driving"

It is difficult to conceive of any possible relevance your diatribe has to that point.

I have been using computers on a daily basis for business and pleasure since an early Apricot. But I would like to extend to others who have no particular interest in them the
                          right to drive a car.

So what point have I missed?

Comment

seconded Malcolm.Exactly.

Comment

As Dane says on another post, Guys, please stop this. It's bad enough the committee has fallen out, we don't want members at each others throats as well!

Comment

Agreed with Sue. The members should show a unity that seems to have been lacking in the committee.
                                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                                X