One committee members point of view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One committee members point of view

Its true to say that a certain amount of friction has occurred within the committee on the thorny subject of getting a new web. But following a lengthy conference call it was agreed to continue with the project and a meeting was arranged between interested parties to take place at Stoneleigh 2011 before the AGM.

GREAT

It was announced at the AGM and a follow up committee meeting tied some loose ends with Cameron Furnival doing design work and CyberPharm building the site up to Sue and Bobs spec.
    . All seemed OK until two things happened and I am not sure in which order. But a member asked on the forum for an update on the forthcoming new web site and at a similar time we were informed that Cameron was withdrawing from the project. With this in mind I believe that Brian Gadd (Treasurer) asked for an update.

I don’t know what occurred but Bob Cawte then unfortunately sent an email making a derogatory comment about Brian. When asked he refused to retract the remark and chose to resign from both the committee and the club leaving the alleged thorny issue hanging in mid air.

The reaction to Brian’s enquiry, Cameron’s withdrawal and the knowledge that Bob was going off to see another designer caused some concern. Lee Hunter (Chairman) possibly then trod on Sue Roedel’s toes when he decided to take charge of the project by requesting an update of progress and costs incurred so far.

Im sure Lee’s intervention was with best intentions and in the interest of the club as a whole. I am not aware if Bob or Sue made any attempt to appeal to the remainder of the committee or me in person until the furore took off on the forum, by which time they had gone. They were not sacked they chose to resign,

I have no axe to grind but the bottom line is Bob and Sue’s resignations have now left the club possibly exposed to a part job bill of £6314.54 for CyberPharm,s work so far. Also due to Lee’s request another invoice of £2400.00 for providing a seven-page report and update of the work done so far.

Instead of slanging the committee and pointing the accusing finger I appeal to all the membership and friends of the club for some constructive suggestions on how these difficulties can be overcome
    Ben Caswell (committee member)
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Re: One committee members point of view

Thanks Ben.
    A seven page report costs 2½ grand? I'm in the wrong job (again).
    Its a bit like the TSR2 farce isn't it.
    I have no idea how to sort it out other than a) appeal to their better nature or b) ask what it would cost to finish the web site programme and get it running. At least then we would have a, albeit expensive, new web site as opposed to money down the drain.
    Were contracts actually signed off? If not then a bit of negotiation space may be available for point a).
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Having read the committee's report and Ben's view of the events may I suggest the following course of action:-
      1. The original committee meet and apologise to each other, apportioning no blame.
      2. Let the people who were given the job of dealing with the new website continue with the work as they are best qualified to deal with it. Hopefully, this will negate the need for the expensive report.
      Please don't let this destroy the club, our love of Marlins should bind us together. It did in the beginning and can again.
      Franklin, Leicester

Comment

hear, hear Franklin.

Comment

Good one Franklin.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Re my above statement.

May say as far as I am aware at no point did Cameron Furnival criticize the way the project was being managed.
            My wording may be incorrect, he didnt say he was withdrawing from the project. He attached a link to the work he had done and explained that his work had come to a standstill as he couldnt get the feel and look that Bob and Sue was looking for. He offered the link so that we would be able to make comparisons and suggestions if we wished to use them in the future when the new designer comes on board.

I appologise for any ambiguity implied.

Comment

Thanks Ben for clearing that up. I was a little concerned, and it shows how easily incorrect conclusions can be drawn.

Dane offers a potential solution of, in my school days, banging the Committees heads together. It would certainly work for school kids when 'nipped in the bud' but the problems within the committee have been brewing for about three years and I think the solution is less appropriate for adults who should be able to work it out for themselves.

We the members are not the head nor the teachers. We are the paying customers and we stand to lose the best part of the clubs annual income we have entrusted to the committee.

Comment

I have no real interest in whether we have a web site or not but I am concerned that this issue is pulling the club apart. In my experience memos / emails / posts flying back and forth can exasperate a problem. This weekend is The Lakes Invasion; I believe that most of the involved parties would normally be taking part (wish I had my Marlin ready to go). Perhaps this would be an opportunity to meet and clear the air. Meetings like the Lakes should be what the Club is really about, enjoying our creations.

Comment

I will be camped at the Lakes from Thursday evening through to Monday night if you want a one to one its OK with me. I will try to be as honest as I can.

Comment

Working...
                  X