Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were any early Cabrio\'s built at the factory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were any early Cabrio\'s built at the factory?

Greetings all -

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in the forum (couldn't find it...) but does anyone know whether any of the early Mk1 Cabrio's were built at the factory, during Paul Moorhouse's time?

I have been told there are a number of factory built cars, which pre-dated the (later) Hunter.

I've been a long-term Roadster owner (since 1986) and happy to be back in touch with the MOC; I'm looking at adding a Cabrio to the family -

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Re: Were any early Cabrio\\

Hi Robin
    Not sure what you mean by MK1
    The variations were SWB, LWB and BMW
    I have no record of Factory built cars earlier than the mid 50's chassis number Hunter, but most of the records I have do not include that sort of detail.

Comment

Hi Robin. We think the only Cabrio factory built by Paul was his demonstrater as he just sold the kits.
      Liz & Doug Billings

Comment

Many thanks Derek / Liz & Doug for the info;

I'll get in touch with Membership now to enroll -

Looking forward to sharing info in future

Comment

There was also at least one built by YKC in the early days.
          Danny.

Comment

Hello all

Just picking up from my earlier query (September 2011 ... it's been a while), I looked through the build documents on my Cabrio and, as far as I can make out:

- the car must have been one of the very first Cabrios out of Marlin Engineering, as the order was placed in August 1991, and kit collected in November 1991
            - chassis number allocated was 1655 T4 (that way around, and not T4****)

Interestingly, by 1994 the owner had apparently not done much in terms of building the car, so it was sent back to the Factory (by this time Mark & Terry?) to be built.

Judging from what we know about early Cabrio's and Marlin Engineering's chassis numbering, would I be right in thinking this is one of the first Cabrio's (excluding PM's demonstrator model?). And the only one to be 'built' at the Factory??

Any suggestions or comments would be most gratefully received -

Many thanks

Robin W
            Roadster owner since 1986 ... and now a Cabrio owner since 2011!

Comment

I believe Mark done work on several early Cabrios. Ts your car the white model?

Comment

Hi Danny

Yes, the Cabrio I purchased is the white one showing in the Cabrio Gallery, reg Q384 JTA. I believe it was owned for some years by a member on this Forum, a Mike M if I remember correctly? Any info on where it fits in the production run would be very welcome -

Comment

Hello,
                  When I purchased my Cabrio kit (Chassis No 4-021-V8) in Feb 92 I asked Paul Moorehouse (PM) the same question "could he supply a factory built Cabrio" his reply was " he just made and sold the kits.
                  My Cabrio was on the road in Oct 92 and review by PM at the factory Oct 92, before the sale of the company to its present owners.

Regards

Paul
                  Last edited by paul; 01-09-16, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Robin,
                    As you know your car left the factory as a kit in 1991, and as Paul says above PM did not offer a factory build as an option. The gentleman who bought your car as a kit lived in Buckinghamshire and started work on the build, however due to family, and work load ( Accountant with a period abroad) , so little progress. Three years later contact was made with Mark, and Terry Matthews who picked up the part complete car and completed the build. Again the car had very little use. I bought the car and used it for a season.
                    A club member Robert Morris then had the car for several years, and the last I heard was when it was again for sale before you bought the car. The colour is diamond white, the engine is a Vulcan recon unit, type 9 gearbox, but I am sure you know all this.

Comment

Hi Danny

Many thanks for this info - didn't know you had owned it as well!

If you have any general info about the car, what you remember (anything I should be aware of, to look for etc. .. I'm planning to go through the car properly this summer), then please send me a message.

Regards to all -

Comment

Working...
                      X