Re: Steering rack

I thought they'd all be gone by now
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

PM's sent.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Steve.

following through links looking for steering solutions as per the start of this thread. Is that quick marina rack still an available option ?
          thanks
          john

Comment

I have no idea where the idea of a quick rack for a Marina based car came from, none at all. If you have located one, please share the info.
            The source I had for a while, was for a custom rack, I get no replies from them now, it was 5 years or more ago, so they probably don’t exist. I never actually saw one in the metal.

The normal Marlin solution was to shorten the steering lever that is bolted into the upright.
            They are a devil to remove and after cutting a section out need careful machining before welding back together in the correct orientation.
            Fine for a trials car, but if spotted by an experienced MOT tester it is an immediate fail for road use.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Ok, thanks.

I have been told that Steve holder of fortune engineering as was in cheltenham had some ready made shortened arms, is that something you are aware of ? Does anyone have contact details for Steve Holder ?

Comment

Steve Holder retired 10(?) years ago. Any remaining stock went to his then customer base.
                That avenue is closed.
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I was lucky enough to get the last pair a couple of years ago

Comment

Just to be clear. The Steve Holder mod did not make it a 'quick' rack, i.e. fewer turns lock to lock. What it did (does for those of us who have a pair of the SH steering arms fitted) is decrease the turning circle significantly. My Marlin will turn in a ridiculously small space, albeit with a bit more effort to get the steering wheel onto full lock, particularly if the front tyres are a little soft to reduce understeer (as sometimes needed on trials).

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewKB View Post
                      Just to be clear. The Steve Holder mod did not make it a 'quick' rack, i.e. fewer turns lock to lock. What it did (does for those of us who have a pair of the SH steering arms fitted) is decrease the turning circle significantly. My Marlin will turn in a ridiculously small space, albeit with a bit more effort to get the steering wheel onto full lock, particularly if the front tyres are a little soft to reduce understeer (as sometimes needed on trials).
                      Could not have said it better myself.
                      What you do lose is any stop to the steering angle, until the tyres make contact with the suspension components or bodywork, it’s not a quick rack per se, and there never was to my knowledge for a Marina.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I do remember seeing them mentioned. I think that someone manufactured a short run of them so they were snapped up pretty quickly.
                        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                          I do remember seeing them mentioned. I think that someone manufactured a short run of them so they were snapped up pretty quickly.

That would have been Steve Holder who retired about 10 years ago. His name crops up quite a lot amongst the trials community.
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Coventry Automotive manufactured a run of rack conversion kits a few years back, on the back of their work on a rally-spec Marina project. There is mention of them on the Marina Owners club forum...priced at £325 back in 2016.
                            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Indeed, that was my source, there were no Marlin takers back then so I doubt that many if any will be found today in general circulation.
                              i was tempted, but not being a trailer, I didn’t invest. An opportunity lost perhaps.
                              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Fascinating trail of knowledge. Does anyone have the dimensions of the shortened steering arm ? I have a plan but the geometry is beyond me.
                                tHanks
                                j

Comment

Working...
                                X