replacement tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement tyres

Any good recommended brand of tyres for 15" wheels by any Berlinetta member.Price helpful as well.
    Have Avon at presant believe original 22yrs Would like simular as great road holding but age on gullys and side walls cracks showing.
    So concerned for longish trips.

Re: replacement tyres

fred,
    I have 15" wheels on my berli, I put 5 Toyo's on mine.
    The road holding is very good, wear seems very reasonable.
    And all for about £250.00 including balancing, and new valves.
    very good value for money.
    Terry

Comment

Hi. I have Prestivo 2000s 201/65/15. They have transformed the braking and handling. They seem to be hard wearing and I am impressed with their performance on flooded roads. (Happens to me a lot!!) About £150 for a set fully balanced etc.
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I have been looking at changing the 205/55x16 Toyo Proxes T1R tyres on my Hunter for 205/65 to get a larger rolling radius for the following reasons. 1) For cosmetics as the 55s look a bit skimpy under the wheel arches; 2)To get a greater rolling radius (my speedo is almost 10% fast); 3) To gain more ground clearance; 4) The V8 is currently over geared and will easily cope with the change.

However info gleaned to date is that Toyos and the alternate option of Falkens are unavailable in the 65 profile. The only 205/65/16s seem to be for 4x4s and are a harder compound. Our cars are quite light and need softer tyres. There is also another issue of how tyres behave when hot and cold. If a tyre is for a 4x4 the range sometimes secifies that the tread pattern is designed as a winter tyre. Another problem is that for the inceased weight of a 4x4 their tyres may go up to a 6-ply sidewall rating which will be far too hard a ride for our cars. Hope this helps. Peter.

Will have a look at he size range of the Prestivos that Dane mentions. Peter.

Comment

I went through a set of Toyo's in 7000 miles on the rear of my Cabrio, switched to Uniroyal Rainsport

Comment

Thanks for info guys .
            Could Dane tell me which distribuator he got his from ?.
            Unfortunally my Avons are not made 205/70/15 95HR.

Comment

Hi Fred, I got the tyres from a local firm : N E Tyres, Par, Cornwall. (01726 814400). They were next door to a small company that refurbished my old K & N diamond alloy rims. You should be able to source them somewhere in East Sussex. I expect that Prestivo is an offshoot of one of the big firms such as Bridgestone and the like. I have had them 2½ years now and they are wearing and handling well. I run fronts at 20 psi and rears at 22 psi.
              They also produce a Prestivo Sport which has even better performance but at greater cost and only silly small cross sections such as .../45. Theyt didn't make a 70 section tyre but the 65 I use are fine. The widest they go at /70 is 185 on a 14" rim. Good hunting!

Comment

Ah, just found out that they are Yokohamas!

Comment

Alans Toyos lasted 7000 miles. on my Hunter i got through a set in 4500 miles but I had some fun !! These were replaced with a set of Kumos which are wearing well.
                  On my 2.1 Sierra based Berli. I've a set of 185/80 x15 Kumos which have shown very little sign of wear in 6k miles.
                  These replaced 195/70 x15's and give a much better ride, others have also changed for the taller narrower tyre. Kumo may no longer be available, but Hankook were about 3 months ago

Comment

Hi! the original build doc recommends 185 section max. Dial a Cortina into Pirelli website and they recommend 135.
                    Having lost the front of Marcello briefly in the Picos with MOC I decided to bite the bullet and change since I was on 205 remolds!
                    Noticed Vredstein 185 x 15 x 80 at Exeter show on recreation of C type Jaguar. Having failed to find Hankook that Sue fitted I went for the Vredstein 'classic'. My tyre suppliers told me the story that Mr Vredstein himself has E Types and couldn't get the right tyres, so he had his own firm make the 185 X 15 X 80 for him and now me!
                    The roadholding is very good, the ride much improved, as mentioned previously the side walls need to be loaded correctly so they flex, the steering is lighter and the speedo did not need adjusting as the rolling radius was so close to 205 70 15.
                    There is a downside of course to this eulogy, they cost £100 each ..........
                    Cheers

Comment

Ouch!!

Comment

Ouch again !!.

Comment

Working...
                        X