Under body Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under body Exhaust

I am going for an underbody exhaust on my car - it looks like ground clearance is gonna be tight. Does anyone have any idea of the minimum I should be looking for?

Cheers

Robin

Re: Under body Exhaust

Robin,
    Go find the biggest speed bump you can in the local area ie. one that you will be going over on regular occasions, and measure it's height. This is what to aim for.
    I wanted to convert my roadster to underbody but this approach meant I needed 7 in clearance which I did not have.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

I've had an underbody exhaust on our Roadster for a few years now and the only time I've had a hit is on the Torpoint Ferry in Plymouth at low tide. If you can clear that you can clear anything. My clearence in the middle of the wheelbase is 3.75". We have lots of speed bumps around here and I've not hit any yet. Knowing that you have less clearence makes you aware of bumps and you drive over them accordingly. With the Marlins relatively hard suspension there is less likelyhood of bouncing down over humps, I've touched the exhaust on our Volvo more, and the car seems to follow the hump more. The lowest point on my ex. is a clamp rather than the pipe itself.... Suck it and see.
      Hugh.

Comment

Robin
        I have an underbody exhaust on my cabrio as most do, and the clearence I have is 4.1 inches in the middle of the car,
        which is where its most vulnerable,and have not grounded over any of my local humps. I did however just scrape on some very nasty humps on the track road to trevose head in cornwall. My conclusion is that 4 inches is the minimum to aim for.
        Peter

Comment

Don?t talk to me about speed humps. I have the most vicious one outside of my house and have to cross at least one other to reach the outside world. These speed humps cause several standard production cars, like Rovers and Peugeots, to ground often without a load and a single occupant.

The speed humps are 100mm high with ramps of 600mm. My research shows that the ?Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1996? describes the dimensions for speed humps. Insomniacs can read it at http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_504796-03.hcsp.

The only dimensions now constrained by the regulations: maximum and minimum heights of 100mm and 25mm respectively; a minimum length of 900mm; and no vertical face to exceed 6mm in height.

The humps outside my house exceed the recommended height of 75mm and the suggested maximum on/off ramp gradient of 1:10.

These ramps are so severe that I must slow bellow 5-mph. Approach them squarely and only carry lithe and attractive passengers.

The exhaust on my Cabrio has 3.75 inches (95mm) clearance.

Making it more is currently job 137 on the list.

Can anything be done to bring these humps within the recommended maximums? The council tell me not!!

Paul

Comment

Message originally posted by: Patrick Short
            I'm still far off the exhaust, but have been thinking what's best to do. I would quite like side pipes as they look very nice.

Patrick
            www.msportster.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X