Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine valve cover polishing

Guys
    As a Winter project, I am wondering whether I can smarten up my engine valve cover. It's the 2 litre DOHC aluminium version as fitted to Sierras in the early to mid-1990's.

As the first stage, I guess it best to remove the cover from the engine and get it on the bench. Being aluminium, I suppose a rotary wire brush in an electric drill might suffice to get a smooth fairly shiny surface, and then what? Lots of wet&dry/emery paper?

Am I creating a perpetual maintenance problem, always requiring regular polishing? Would a paint-job be easier to do, or look better longer? What colour?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Engine valve cover polishing

Hi Mike
    Be carefull with the wire brush. some aluminium is soft enough to be damaged by wire brushing.
    I used wet & dry on the Cabrio screen cover then a paste metal polish. comes up quite good.
    But you will always need to polish it!

Comment

Hi Derek
      I must admit that the need to continually polish did cross my mind. I remember in my motorbike days,polishing the aluminium engine and suspension parts, and ditto my Berli with its brass, chrome and alloy finishes - never ending!

Maybe a paint-job with high temp exhaust paint might be a preferred option. Anybody try this?

Cheers
      Mike

Comment

Have you thought of chroming it? It would just need an occasional wipe over then.
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I've got a spare plain black one in plastic. Save a lot of hard work, just put it on and forget about it.

Comment

There are lots of metal finishing companies out there who will polish it and the anodise it so that it retains the polished look.

Do not use a wire brush, they are far too aggressive for ally.

Comment

Thanks Guys
              That's food for thought

Cheers
              Mike

Comment

Mike
                My local engineering workshop gave me a useful tip - if you want to wire brush aluminium use a soft stainless steel wire brush. It works.
                Mike

Comment

I polished the ally cover on our race car,i used a dual action sander with 340 grit to get a flat surface,the 1500 grit wet and dry,then metal polish.now it looks chromed,does need the occasional polish,indeed if not polished when first done it will oxidise very quickly.I would stay away from wire brushes myself.Another possibility if the cover is an awkward shape is to get it bead blasted first,some companies do a very fine particle treatment.

Comment

Working...
                  X