Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Marlin Bonnet louvres SVA conpliant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Marlin Bonnet louvres SVA conpliant?

Message originally posted by: Malcolm Sherratt
    As per the subject really, I am preparing my marlin for the SVA and reading the manual I cannot see how the standard bonnet louvres comply.
    Has anybody had one pass the SVA with bonnet louvres?
    I would also welcome any other tips re the SVA.
    Many Thanks,
    Malc Sherratt

Re: Are Marlin Bonnet louvres SVA conpliant?

Message originally posted by: Jim Mountain
    never taken a car to a SVA test but, Morgan's don't have a problem getting type approval with a lot more luvers on the bonnet, so I can't see why a Marlin should a problem with the SVA.

Comment

The louvers on my Cabrio bonnet passed SVA in April.

The rules allow for air intakes and outlets having gaps of not more than 10 mm having a blunted edge. Preparation for painting should be enough to get you through. This also allowed the radiator grill to pass.

Paul

Comment

Paul

Did you have any problems with the SVA regards bonnet edges. My Cabrio will be put in for SVA early 2006, it has the non fixed bonnet sides which are hinged. The bonnet edges are folded back on the hinge edges but not on the leading, trailing edges of the bonnet or the central hinge. Is yours similar and did you have any problems with it at SVA, there was an article in the last pitstop which seemed to indicate a Cabrio had been failed on this.

Also interested to know if you had any other problems getting the car through.

Regards

John

Comment

John,
          I think the article you refer to is mine (Millie gets her SVA).

I list all of the points of failure in the article. Sue had a lot squeeze into this issue and had to compress it into four pages. So the photo?s ended up a bit small and the paragraphs disappeared but I hope that didn?t detract too much.

In part two I explain how I fixed all of the problems. Most of the ones regarding ?sharp? edges were fixed with rubber U-channel. Although the U-channel must be permanently attached to pass SVA mine somehow managed to get detached and fall off once the MAC was issued.

I have gathered this u-channel and other covers and would like to pass it on to the next owner going for their SVA. Supplied free with the proviso, that should it prove difficult to maintain in position, they pass it on to the next owner.

If they are fairly local to Southampton I would even deliver it in return for a peek at the build progress. Even though It is not that heavy it is probably not worth paying transport costs as they may not fit your build exactly.

Don?t worry too much about the SVA, I did. As long as your build is competent you will get it through. It is unlikely to pass first time unless you have done it before. Expect to get a list out of your first visit. Mine passed on the second.

Happy building,
          Paul

Comment

Hi Paul

Thanks for the advice, I am sadly at the other end of the country to you (Leeds) so it would be a hell of a long ride to pop in and look at my build. That said, you are always welcome if your ever passing this way. Look forward to reading the solutions to your SVA gremlins and an idea of what your U channel and Covers kit consists of.

Regards

John

Comment

It is quite a ride but Millie is a well-travelled car. Please see attached photo?

Paul

Comment

It seems the photo may have been too large this is try two?

Comment

Nice Car Paul, shame you have to park so far away from your front door!

John

Comment

So whats your connection to Lord Harewood?, that is Harewood house is it not.

John

Comment

Well spotted. Harewood house is mere 250 miles away from my home about 7 miles from Leeds. We just popped in for tea and cakes on our way to visit some friends. I hope I have another friend to visit next time we are in the area although I doubt it will be this year.
                      Paul

Comment

Any time your passing.

John

Comment

Hi Paul.

How much did the SVA test cost, and was it the same amount second time around?!
                          Thanks.

Comment

Hi
                            I paid ?150 for the test and ?30 for the retest.

Compared with a service for my production car this represents outstanding value for money. Now that I have passed I hope they increase the cost dramatically and give us poor taxpayers a break. Ok maybe not I might just want to build another car in the future.

You can check the latest costs at:
                            http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_506874-05.hcsp
                            they are currently the same.

Comment

Many thanks. With such a reasonable re-test fee, I guess it's not such a panic to get it through 1st time!

Thanks also for the link.

Comment

Working...
                              X