Starter motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter motor

Last night the starter motor needed a persuasive tap with a hammer to convince it to work. Is this the point where I need a new one or will a bit of fettling fix it ? It's on a 1.7 Marina engine.

Re: Starter motor

Hi Trevor try a brush pack but if your stuck a friend of mine runs a auto electricians and gets me all my bits.

Comment

Is it an inertia starter or pre-engaged?Often the terminals to the starter corrode,that's a quick and easy fix.If it's an inertia unit,and it spins but won't engage then cleaning and greasing the helical shaft may help.Mind you,if it's an old unit i'd be tempted to replace it,as it will finally give up on a dark wet windy night when you are miles from home!Thats the nature of cars...or is that just my cars??

Comment

Inertia types get bunged up with clutch dust, a good clean out usually helps. I am not sure about greasing the screw as this will cause the dust to stick more.

Comment

The inertia type were fairly common on the older "production" classic cars due to simplicity and cost. All the workshop manuals that I have read say not to use even thin oil on the bendix screw as it just causes dirt to build up (as per Don's comment above). I have always used an old toothbrush and a good degreaser to remove all traces of oil and dirt. I then sprayed the thread with GT85 or similar as used for bicycle chains. When it has evaporated it leaves a minute film of PTFE which is all the lube that the bendix thread requires. Peter.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Giving it a wee tap when it stops working is helping at the moment, I'll get a proper look at it on my days off. Hopefully a clean will do the job.

Comment

A clean and tighten up of the wires and it seems to be a lot better - only time will tell !

Comment

Although the starter motor seems to be working at the moment its probably time to replace it. Can anyone identify the model of starter motor this is ? Can't see any numbers so I might have to take it out and have a look. I've found a Lucas LRS293 that's for a 1.7 Ital but I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Comment

Just taken it out and its an M35J. A quick search on Google and found a post on here from lil_red_roadster which says "the only official Lucas replacement now available is for the M35J (Lucas part number LRS293)." Think I've answered my question.

Comment

Bought replacement off eBay, clown selling it suddenly realises its not what he thought it was. Bought brushes, opened starter - looks like a bag of sh*te inside ! Bought another starter off eBay for £50, now fitted and car starts first time. Anyone want an old starter and a set of brushes ?

Comment

Do you have any identifying part numbers from the new starter?
                      Also part numbers for brushes etc.

Problem solved. Good.
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

New starter is Lucas LRS293. Bag for brushes is marked with BL symbol, BAU2245 and LI840G3.

Comment

Working...
                        X