BRAKES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRAKES

Ihave at present disc front and rear with metro servo. Front are 240mm vented single piston sliding caliper.What others will fit the sierra set up/would wilwood 4 piston make huge difference.Your thoughts please/what are you using?

Re: BRAKES

Hi Alan. When we get back off hols one thing I want to look at is the minimal movement on the brake pedal......it works but I think could be more effective.....I don't know what the set up is other than standard Hunter.......talk to you about it next month Rgds DC

Comment

Hi
      I'm the guy who bought the Duksville Dual 7" servo - however, my Cabrio will not be on the road for several months. If anyone would like to "Try before you buy" I would be happy to lend this unit to someone prpepared to try it out promptly to give some proper feedback. Anyone interested, please contact me:
      mands(dot)garner(at)btinternet(dot)com
      For information, the Dual 7" servo actually has a 6" diaphragm - identical to the metro unit, and is therefore (almost) a direct replacement - I plan to retain the same pipe lengths.
      For photos have a look at
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikes_bmw_marlin_cabrio/6311870554/in/photostream

Comment

Jason has volunteered to test the Dual 7" servo in his Sportster. We may get a response later weekend?

Comment

Jason has made a post in the Miscellaneous
          thread. The trial was a success.

Comment

Quick update-I have now obtained a pair of scorpio cosworth calipers and 280 mm sierra cosworth discs to replace the standard sierra setup.Going on a shoot with the springer tomorrow so i guess it'll be Saturday before i get to fitting stage .Hopefull that I'l see an improvement otherwise I'll be on the list for one of the new dual diaphragm servo's

Comment

Alan

There is no rush to make a decision - It doesn't look like we can source the new supply until early in the new year now.
              I think a stronger servo will compliment your bigger discs and get the best out of them.

Comment

Hi Mike. Please put me on the list for servo, adapter and clevis. My contact details are in Pitstop. Regards David

Comment

Alan. My front discs (Hunter - disc/ disc) are 260mm diameter and I still have to push pretty hard to stop. Never yet been able to lock the wheels on normal road surfaces despite fully bedded in pads. I can't wait to fit the dual diaphragm servo :-)Peter.

Comment

Hi Guys
                    Just caught up with this thread, which makes interesting reading. Since taking over ownership of my Hunter a couple of years ago, I have replaced all of the standard factory stuff: calipers/pads on front and slave cylinders on rear. I have left the original servo alone, which I think is Mini/Metro design.

Overall, I am pleased with the way the car stops, but no way compares with my Skoda Octavia (Volkswagen). There are the obvious weight differences, with my Hunter having larger size tyres/greater footprint - great on dry roads but lousy on wet/ice, plus my Skoda has ABS and other clever devices.

Has anyone fitted ABS? I imagine this might be a major task.

Cheers
                    Mike

Comment

Retrofit ABS Brakes

It is possible to get a retrofit ABS Kit from Bosch if you are happy with open wallet surgury. Bottom line will be around £6000 but then you have to fit it.

I wonder what your insurance company would say if you fitted the ABS system yourself. I think your premium might go up instead of down.

Its probably cheaper to spend a day training on a skid pan and taking and IAM exam.
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi all,
                        my Hunter had the 240mm front discs with small rear drums from a 2.0 Sierra - with a tuned V8 under the bonnet (original factory build) left me wanting much more road on many occasions, not a nice experience. Have upgraded to the Sierra 2.8i size set up with 260mm front discs from EBC which are slotted and cross drilled with EBC Green Stuff pads. Rear 10 inch drums with EBC Green Stuff shoes. Also has braided brake hoses. Now has excellent stopping power and has transformed the car.
                        Cheers,
                        Martin

Comment

Hi Martin do you still get black wheels off the green pads ?

Comment

Hi Lee, hardly any brake dust - lighter coloured and easy to clean - which is a bonus with the wheels that I have! Would post a photo but can't see how?

Message from moderator...
                            Martin...just click the icon next to the one whihc looks like a film strip...Capture.JPG email me for more help if you need to.
                            Last edited by cameronfurnival; 05-01-12, 05:31 PM. Reason: adding help

Comment

Thanks for that there on the to buy list but at £82 for fronts and £52 for rears shopping about for the best price. Unless anyone knows of a cheaP supplier of Granada cosworth pads front and back.

Comment

Working...
                              X