Radiator and fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator and fuel pump

I hope someone can help. I bought a factory built 2.3l Hunter with auto gearbox.

I have a radiator leak. There is a small aluminium tank beneath the radiator. The tank has corroded and has a hole in it and, talking to my garage, it cannot be repaired. I think the small aluminium tank is in the heater plumbing circuit. However, I/we do not know what it does. Can we simply get rid of/bypass it? I see on the forum that Mike Gouldsborough was asking similar questions about a year ago, but I can't see that he ever got a response and I think his tank was 'whole' in any event.

Secondly, the engine keeps cutting out. I suppose it could be lots of things. My garage is looking at the fuel pump - does anyone know what sort would have used for the Ford 2.3l DOHC engine? I understand it's a Glencoe, but do not know what model.

Obviously I'm also trying to get this info from Marlin and have been in touch with Derek Jones.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Re: Radiator and fuel pump

Hi John how does it cut out? Will re-start again ?

Comment

Hi John how does it cut out? Will re-start again ?

Comment

Hi John. If it's in the heater line it is a "bulk" tank that Marlin fitted to increase the total water capacity and slow down the rate at which the water heats up say when accelerating hard. If you compare your rad size with the one that was fitted to the production car that your engine was used in you will probably see that the Marlin one is much smaller (due to body shape limitations). I suggest that you keep it! If it's aluminium it should be possible to get the hole welded up. If the hole is due to corrosion it would be better still to get someone local to make up a new one!

I have a similar tank on my 3.9i V8 Hunter. Mine is fitted on the firewall but unfortunately that is right over the right hand exhaust pipe! Peter.

Comment

Lee - thanks for responding so quickly.

The car has stopped twice on me – it was very sudden, at low speed and having run the car for 15 mins or so. Having left it a while it started again. I also couldn't restart it having just driven it to the garage (early in the morning, before they opened – a 10-15 min journey), but 20 mins later it started. The garage is obviously having more difficulty starting it, as they rang to tell me and to suggest it might be the fuel pump. Obviously, as it's now at the garage, I can't check things out at the moment!

Incidentally, it's not a problem I've ever had before.

I actually haven't described everything that's going on as I was only asking about the fuel pump/radiator.

When I start off the car drives normally (well it did, the 3 times I've driven it on Sunday and Monday at the beginning of this week). Then after a while (3-4 minutes) noise starts to build up under the bonnet - sounds like someone banging cans - and it gets louder with time. My feeling is that it is coming from the top of the engine - a mechanic I had out said it might be the injectors - my garage did not think so. This only appeared to happen when the car was in motion - i.e. standing still and revving the engine there was no sound of banging cans.

Logically the garage wants to stop the engine cutting out before looking at anything else.

John

Comment

Peter

Thank you for your response on the tank. It sounds quite important!! I will talk to the garage tomorrow and see how bad things are with the tank. I’m also trying to speak to Mark at Marlin.

John

Comment

Hi John it could be any number of things, my advice is go down to your local ford garage and have a chat with some of the older boys in the workshop and describe your issues to see if they have come across this before. Keep us posted

Comment

John
                Is the 'tank' actually that or a small radiator in which case it could be a oil cooler for the auto box.
                My BMW powered Cabrio has a relay controlling the fuel injectors, it malfunctioned once on me causing the car to come to halt, got the engine to run again after juggling around with the electrics but it cut out within half a mile of home .Put in a replacement relay and its been fine since.

Comment

John
                  Where in the Midlands are you?

Comment

Is the engine stopping linked to fuel starvation due to vaporisation of the fuel in the pipes in the engine bay?

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I'm between Ashby and Tamworth (the car is currently in Tamworth!).

I didn't think the tank was anything to do with the auto gearbox (of course I may be wrong) - as far as I could see, the tank was/is attached to the radiator giving it more capacity - I wouldn't describe it as a 'radiator' in itself. Comments from the garage appear to confirm my thinking. But I'll follow it up.

Roger, thanks for your suggestion.

John

Comment

I've just spoken to Terry at Marlin.

Per Mark, I definitely can't get rid of the alu tank. So, I either need to get it fixed or get a new one - Marlin will make me one for what seems a reasonable price.

From what I've told them they're not certain it's a fuel pump problem - might be electrical or dirty fuel! That thought had crossed my mind, given the low amount of miles I do.

I'll let you know where I get to.

John

Comment

Hi John,
                          I am just south of Birmingham,Frankley near Rubery. I will come and have a look at your car if that helps you? Let me know, all my contact details are in pit stop and on the club site.
                          Regards
                          Danny.

Comment

Danny

That is an extremely kind offer, though it's a fair trek from Rubery. May I call you later?

John

Comment

John/Danny
                              If I can be of any help let me know 01332 753000
                              Maybe Danny and I together?

Comment

Working...
                              X