Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Radiator and fuel pump

Hi John,
    Call any time 0121 453 7250. and well done Alan I am sure we can sort something between us.
    Danny.

Comment

Hi John,
      My LWB Hunter with the same engine as you has that same tank fitted under the rad.The car was overheatingand I removed / flushed the rad and found that this tank contained a large amount of s--t and sludge which when flushed and refitted the problem was cured. Marlin advised me that it was there to increase the water capacity as suggested by Peter in Exeter. A past member did have a theory that Marlin had managed to get the connections on the rad/engine/waterpump/heater totally wrong and it would never work though I cannot remember the details.
      Good Luck

Comment

I remember an issue with the heater connections being wrong on someone's car. I always have the feed at the bottom and the outlet at the top heater connector to help expel any air after a drain / refill. My Hunter also has a nifty bleeed screw in the highest part of the heater return line, which is higher than the engine return spigot. Peter.
        Attached Files

Comment

I had to fit one of these to my Fiat twin cam roadster to get all the air out. Cheap but very good solution.
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caterham-Westfield-kit-car-Bleed-Tee-Coolant-valve-/300624936429?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item45fea47ded#ht_500wt_1202
          Attached Files
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
          - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Tim (Hawkesworth), is your car a manual or automatic?

John

Comment

Have you recently changed your petrol cap? How is your tank vented? If you have inadvertently blocked off the ventilation your pump will eventually not be able to pump against the vacuum it is causing by extracting fuel and the engine will stop. You can then sit for a while and air will find its way back into the tank via tiny routes, releasing the vacuum whereupon you can start the engine again and the whole process will repeat itself. I had to drill the tiniest of holes in the underside of the new (unvented) filler cap I had recently installed

Comment

Keith, thanks - no I haven't recently changed the petrol cap - interesting thought though!

Just to let everyone know, I've had really helpful conversations with club members such as Danny Nelson and a number of very kind offers of help. However, with my car stuck at my local garage and the garage proprietor needing the space, I've had to make the decision to get it moved and looked at by a firm which Danny was able to recommend to me – perhaps not the cheapest option, but hopefully one that will get my car sorted and back to me.

I’ll post anything useful coming out of this on the site.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

John

Comment

Well, I finally got my car back today from John Butler at Vindicator Cars (I see he had a mention in the latest issue of PitStop). I’ve had a list of things done: some fairly mundane and some which may be of interest to other members. I asked John to put together a note on this which I could send to PitStop – I trust he’ll come up with something.

John

Comment

JPM : Next Pitstop deadline is 13 January...any and all contributions gratefully received. Rgds DC

Comment

Working...
                    X