Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT Sets on V8 Cabrio replacement

Hello,

I am about to replace my HT lead set etc has anyone uesed "Magnecor" lead sets a V8 Cabrio , if so are they:

1. a good fit ie bends over the cylinder banks, not short from coil etc
    2. Worth the cost?
    3. What have you purchased ie Blue 80 - 8mm, Black 70 - 7mm or Red R100 - or 8.5mm KV85?
    4. Had them made to order?

5 Or use other make not Brit Part?

I look forward to your replies

Paul
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: HT Sets on V8 Cabrio replacement

I remember talking to a V8 landrover owner once about leads, he had tried all sorts and still couldnt get it running right. I happened to mention that I had been very careful to run my V8 leads so there was no cross talk between them (a well known problem on the V8 Rover engine) resulting in rough running. His face went bright red and I knew he hadnt considered this, off he went and the next day I had a nice bottle of scotch waiting for me
    HOwever, to answer your query, I have used magnecor leads with soundresults on a couple of cars finding them a good fit and working well. THe trouble is, because they work fine you dont really notice it if you see what I mean - its only when theres something wrong that you notice! When I ran an MR2 loads of people said they got better performance with those leads but I suspect it was wishful thinking. Im sure someone will be along soon with a better answer though.

Comment

I've been using the blue ones on the Landrover for quite a long time now without any issues. Combined with the Mallory Dual Points Dizzy, the seem to give a nice fat spark and keep it inside the leads
      The ones I bought came unterminated, so I made a suitable sized set of dies for my co-ax crimping pliers to terminate them neatly.
      Best Wishes
      Bill Williams
      Berlinetta

[/COLOR]Click here for The nearest thing I have to a home page

Comment

I have used Magnecor for about 3 years now on my 3.9i V8. Very pleased with the results. They came from RPI as a set specifically for this engine.

Main reason for fitting was to compliment the high output RPI ignition module, but I still haven't got round to fitting that yet, so still running bog standard L R Disco set up!

As Cameron says the routing across the dizzy top is critical. Attached (hopefully) is photo of my setup which I hope is the same as Land Rover reccomend. Peter
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul.
          I have replied to your PM but it seems to have got lost in cyberspace which is just as well as the info was incorrect! Senior moment here :-(

Plug leads connectors on top of my dizzy are a mixture of straight and 90deg to suit cable runs. Connectors on plugs are almost straight. As the plugs are well away from the bonnet sides I don't think you will have a problem fouling this.

Very Important! Do not use the original cable clips on the rocker covers as they will ruin the thicker Magnecor leads. I used O-rings looped around to secure the leads to those clips. Peter.

Comment

Working...
          X