Scorpio Diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpio Diff?

Has anyone any experience of fitting a Scorpio diff with the "Koala" back plate?

I have recently started my engine up in my Cabrio build, and have tested the drive train whilst up on stands. I was horrified by the standard sierra diff wind up when only letting the clutch out with no resistance. Dropping the cluctch quickly at the "lights out GP" would be horrendous. I will have to stiffen the support for my diff to stop it hitting the underside of the transmission tunnel.
    Research has shown the Scorpio diff has a much better rear diff support arrangement, and with a new rear bracket could make an easy swap.

Has anyone done this?

Regards
    Mike

Re: Scorpio Diff?

Hi mike my car has a Scorpio LSD diff can I be of assistance ? Photos etc

Comment

Hi mike sent the previous message before reading my inbox If you can wait to stoneleigh you can drive my car on the road.
      Sent you a message
      Last edited by CosworthCabrioLee; 17-01-12, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Lee

Do you have the standard D bracket at the rear of your diff?
        The later Scorpios were fitted with different rear diff back plates, which have two round rubber mounts. These have the potential to offer much less flexing, yet be capable of absorbing vibration.

A polyflex D would stop the flexing, but I guess will transmit more of the vibration in to the Cabrios chassis?

Comment

Hi mike had a look and it appears different to my v8 cabrio for which I changed the diff. I would say the cossie has the later mount

Comment

Hi Lee

The late Scorpio 'koala' diff support looks like this:

I feel this offers a much more rigid mount than the standard Sierra D mount (below)
            There is less opportunity to compress the rubber inside the brackets, ( the D mount does allow significant compression) and it also helps prevent contra propshaft rotation too.

The standard Sierra D mount is of course like this: and the rubber compresses in to the voided area in the bottom of the bracket.

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
            Hi mike had a look and it appears different to my v8 cabrio for which I changed the diff. I would say the cossie has the later mount
            Last edited by Mike; 18-01-12, 11:39 PM. Reason: to add photos correctly

Comment

Hello,
              I am interested in the mounts in the images ie Sierra "D" and the other. I have a 3.9 V8 cabrio and I would like to have a stronger mount for my diff, at the moment I am third mount "3" since my cabrio was built in 92.

Comment

Not sure this is correct but the std Granada Mount is stronger than the std sierra or so I have been told

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                  Hello,
                  I am interested in the mounts in the images ie Sierra "D" and the other. I have a 3.9 V8 cabrio and I would like to have a stronger mount for my diff, at the moment I am third mount "3" since my cabrio was built in 92.
                  Hi Paul

Have you considered fitting a polyflex mount?

I have been kindly lent this brand new polyflex bush to test and compare against the standard Sierra D mount. I am certain it will reduce the degree of axle wind up, but the unknown is how much additional vibration will it transmit to the chassis? They are not cheap - £120 ! But if it works it could save a lot more damage to the prop etc.
                  One other option is to add extra hard rubber, to fill the void in the Sierra D mount. This should retain the vibration absorbing ability, whilst reducing the amount of flex under hard load? Don't know how the theory translates in to practice though?
                  Mike
                  Last edited by Mike; 22-01-12, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
                    Not sure this is correct but the std Granada Mount is stronger than the std sierra or so I have been told
                    Lee

Do you know the part number?

Mike

Comment

Hi mike don't know the part number yet, soon as the roads clean up ie no salt I will get the car on the 4 post at my dad s and will be able to tell you. Will report back soon

Comment

Hello Mike,
                        As you say "One other option is to add extra hard rubber, to fill the void in the Sierra D mount. This should retain the vibration absorbing ability, whilst reducing the amount of flex under hard load? Don't know how the theory translates in to practice though?"

I have tried filling the sierra "D" mount with extra hard Rubber, but it only last a few months when used on track days / with up to 2 year for normal Road use and that is with soft use of the clutch and gas pedels.

I would be interesed in one of mounts if and when available.

Paul
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hello Mike,
                          As you say "One other option is to add extra hard rubber, to fill the void in the Sierra D mount. This should retain the vibration absorbing ability, whilst reducing the amount of flex under hard load? Don't know how the theory translates in to practice though?"

I have tried filling the sierra "D" mount with extra hard Rubber, but it only last a few months when used on track days / with up to 2 year for normal Road use and that is with soft use of the clutch and gas pedels.

I would be interesed in one of mounts if and when available.

Paul
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Hi Paul

The polyflex D mounts are available on the internet:

This is the improved version of the one in my photo, bought by Mashtun, and lent to me for evaluation. The new one is milled from a solid piece of aluminium billet, where as mine is welded and has suffered a little heat distortion - though I don't think it that will make any difference.
                          Thanks for the info on filling the void. I guess the question is, is it worth the effort for only two years on a road car? - and not knowing when it will give up the ghost?

I hope to test the poly flex for vibration in the next few days - the longevity of it will remian untested for some time, for me as I am still building my Cabrio. However, the road going guys on PassionFord etc seem to suggest they are a 'fit and forget' item. Also some of the Cobra replica guys with big Chevy engines go to this as a permanent solution to knocking out standard Sierra D mounts in quick time.
                          Last edited by Mike; 23-01-12, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Hello Mike ,
                            Thank you for your reply, I will be fitting one of them soon.

I see that you are still building your Cabrio, have you fitted the door yet? I have just taken one of mine off (drive side) as the "door has dropped" and I am look at new hinges pins what type did you fit??

Regards

Paul
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hello Mike ,
                              Thank you for your reply, I will be fitting one of them soon.

I see that you are still building your Cabrio, have you fitted the door yet? I have just taken one of mine off (drive side) as the "door has dropped" and I am look at new hinges pins what type did you fit??

Regards

Paul
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Paul

My hinges came with the kit. I have always assumed they were new standard Sierra hinges, but have never checked.
                              Are you sure it is the hinge that is letting the door down? There is a huge amount of adjustment in the position of my hinges to the door post: if your s is the same it is only a case of re-adjusting the positioning of the hinges?
                              I found I needed to fit packers to the hinges, and also to fit and tighten the top hinge before fitting the bottom one, as the door deflects under its own weight. After a lot of experimenting I now have very good door gaps all round.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X