Clear All

Re: Scorpio Diff?

Hi mike Scorpio diff on eBay 270898027643

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
      Hi mike Scorpio diff on eBay 270898027643
      Thanks Lee

This has the 'koala' type of back plate back I am looking for, but I require a 3.36 diff. It's a shame really, as it will be in very good condition if it has come out of an automatic.

If ever you see a 3.36 with this type of back plate I will be interested.
      Thanks again
      Mike

Comment

Hi mike could you swop the internals with your current diff surely it's just the casins that are different ?

Comment

Mike

A standard mount in good condition will work well if you fill the voids with silicone, which is what I did.

Peter M

Comment

Hi Peter

Nice to see you back on here.
            I have read about this as a solution. However, Paul, below, says that his only lasted 2 years if he was lucky and moderated his driving. My preference would be to go for the Scorpio diff, as it seems a better design all round to me. The internal gears and bearings are bigger than the Sierra, and it has two supports coming off the back of the diff, with enclosed rubber bushes inside a steel case. These should allow less flexing than the standard Sierra D mount bracket. It would also help prevent rotation in the plane of the prop, as the mounts are approx. 8" apart.
            The problem is I can not swap my 3.38 internals from my 7" diff to the 7.5" diff, so would need to find a 3.36 Scorpio/Ultima diff from a 2.9 diesel. I suspect these may be quite rare, so I think I may go for the polyflex bush option, but at £120, I might take a while over taking the plunge!
            Mike

Comment

Mike

Rich men come up with expensive solutions where us poor people have to make do and mend. One tube of black silicone cost £6, which has lasted 7 years/17000+ miles and as far as I know it's still ok.
              My problems posting here have been resolved so look out I will be back.

Peter

Comment

Hello Mike,
                I as I said in my other post "As you say "One other option is to add extra hard rubber, to fill the void in the Sierra D mount. This should retain the vibration absorbing ability, whilst reducing the amount of flex under hard load? Don't know how the theory translates in to practice though?"

I have tried filling the sierra "D" mount with extra hard Rubber, but it only last a few months when used on track days / with up to 2 year for normal Road use and that is with soft use of the clutch and gas pedels."

Given your low milage at outline in your post, 7 yrs - 17,000 + miles your solution works for you.

My 2yrs normal road was 27,000 - 35,000 miles, the expensive solution will work for me as I will not have review or replace every 2 years or less and the time it takes me .
                Or the increased cost of a new D mount .

Paul

Comment

Maybe sikaflex would provide a stronger fill, its pretty indestructable once it has set but still retains some flexibility.

Comment

Whilst searching for information about polyflex bushes, I came across this old thread, and thought I'd add photos of my final my diff support.

As my transmission tunnel is now less than 100mm clear internally I can not allow too much prop shaft movement.

IMG_5038.jpg

When I watched what happened to the diff with the standard D mount with the car on its axles, I was horrified.
                    Research suggested Ford thought the same, and had come up with the late Scorpio design, shown previously,which I thought was a good idea. However, checking the dimensions the standard Scorpio back plate was too wide to fit into the Cabrio fuel tank void, so I decided to make my own.

IMG_4483.jpg

I bought a Scorpio back plate for £10, cut the two outer bush support rings off, and welded them to two 10mm thick aluminium bars to make a 20mm T-bar to the maximum width my fuel tank void would accommodate, and fitted it to the back of my standard Sierra diff plate.

After a while I began to think the two holes were too close together to offer strong resistance to rotation, and that it would be better if I triangulated it. Hence the additional outer support brackets attached to the diff back plate fixing holes.

This should help reduce diff movement massively compared to the standard Sierra D mount.

Hopefully by having two rubber mounts it will also absorb vibration more than a harder polybush?

Now, where are those threads on Track Control Arm polyflex bushes?

Comment

Hi Mike.
                      Have a look at the following link / post #2 and the link included in that.

Peter.

Comment

Working...
                      X