Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Pressure's

Hi,
    Has anyone any advice on tyre pressures?
    I have a Sportster with the BMW straight six engine with 195x50's on the front & 215x60's on the rear.
    At present I am running the fronts at 24psi & the rear at 26psi.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Tyre Pressure's

Hi Ian i have been having a simlair debate with myself what to run my cabrio pressures at ????

Comment

Hi With 215/70 x 15 all round, I'm currently running with 22psi front and rear. Regards David

Comment

How is the vehicles road holding and feel with the pressure's set at 22psi?
        I am contemplating lowering the rears to 24psi and keep the fronts the same. I suppose its all down to trial and error until the vehicle's handling feel right???

Regards
        Ian

Comment

Hi Ian. Roadholding and ride feel o.k. to me. However when my present tyres wear out I'm tempted to change to 225/60 rear and 215/60 front to gain a little more feel (slightly lower sidewalls) as well as an aesthetic benefit( to my eyes anyway). As an aside, what is your ground clearance like with the tyres you have fitted, with my Rover engine I've got 41/2 inches under the nearside exhaust manifold. So changing tyres would reduce it , but only by approx 20mm. Regards David.

Comment

Hi David,
            On my Sportster the lowest point is from under the exhaust crossover pipe which is around 3", not a lot of clearance. I avoid speed humps at all cost!!!
            Regards Ian

Comment

Hi Ian, on my sportster I have 195/65/15 all round, at 20psi. Marlins recommended 18 psi because my wing brackets kept breaking. Regards Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,
                Thanks for the reply. I think I will experiment with the pressures set between 20 psi on the front and 24psi on the rear. Interesting comment re: Marlins advice regarding the front stays. Are yours the original single fastening front and back or the later dual fastening points.

Regards Ian

Comment

Having experimented with a variety of pressures I have found that 22 psi all around suits my Marlin Hunter V8 best – unbelievable road holding around the tightest of bends. Remember that fine tuning the shock absorbers is also VITAL!!

Comment

HI Ian,

I originally had the hollow tube stays fitted to the BMW upright with an exhaust clip, which sadly failed several times. Now I run solid bar stays with an exhaust clip bracket welded to the BMW upright - this has been successful for the past three years.

Regards Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,
                      Thanks for the info. Sounds like a "belt & braces" installation.
                      I intend to play around with the tyre pressures this weekend depending if the roads are gritting salt free!!
                      Regards Ian

Comment

For info my Hunter has 205x55 Toyo Proxes T1R tyres on 16" wheels and Marlin recommended 18psi all round. I try to run them at 22psi max and then pump up when they drop to 20psi. Tyre wear on the fronts is always even right across the tread. Peter.

Comment

Hi Peter,
                          Many thanks for the info. I am going to try the fronts at 20psi & the rears at 22psi. Just need to wait until the roads are clear of road salt and then take the car out for a spin. Regards Ian

Comment

Working...
                          X