Pitstop, Feb 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitstop, Feb 2012

Not seen Pitstop yet, I know others have. Are they all in the post?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Re: Pitstop, Feb 2012

Mine, must be on its way to.
    Terry

Comment

I got mine in the post a few days back but it's getting a bit thin on material being only 24 pages rather than the usual 32.

I'm puzzled why it is now not put on-line in the Pitstop section below?
      Is this an unwritten policy not to put them on-line or is a there a technical issue? I notice that the last issue has not been archived yet, either.

I know when this was discussed in the past lots of folks expressed how they liked to receive the paper version but if enough people took the option to view 'on-line' this could save the club significant postage costs.
      Putting it on-line might also encourage the other 2/3rds of club members who currently do not use the website forum to log in and take a look around.

Perhaps there should be an article in the next (paper) Pitstop with an update on the new Website and a 'How to' section on how to log in, etc.

Comment

Already in hand Peter
        As far as the pitstop archive goes I just need to be sent a copy and I can then upload it - simple as that. I will be chasing up the temporary editor for the copies of the recent editions that arent there asap, after all - why have the resource and not use it (Steve - stop there - dont do it!!!!) I guess that we await a permananent ed and then they can upload them directly; the current one has a hell of a job to do following on from Sue and Im sure we would all agree he's doing a pretty damn good job.
        Same with membership - whoever takes on that role would be able to administer the online members list at the same time should they wish.
        Progress is steady Peter but gentle nudges are often the best way to maintain momentum. One thing I noticed was that the half dozen or so new members in pitstop dont have logins necessarily - thats something we need to tie up as well and a new membership bod could easily sort it out.

Comment

Peter raises some interesting points and I've just been userped by Cameron who has obviously seen me online viewing this thread.

Despite being a strong advocate of all things internet based, I feel that a paper copy of Pitstop is of great value and look forward to it arriving on my doorstep.
          There are a several advantages to a paper copy, it is something that can be read anywhere, you dont need a laptop or computer, it provides written uneditable content that can be refered back to and forms a historical library, mine goes back to '97, that can be accessed quicker than clicking through a website.

Having said that, the forum and all that it offers has an immediacy that Pitstop cannot offer. Particularly Forum Calendar dates can be added or edited by members when information becomes available. The Forum Classifieds also offer the same facility. The success of these features relies on accurate and consistant use by as many MOC members as possible, each taking responsibility to ensure that the information for which they are ultimately responsible is accurate.

The payback for the financial investment, in the new forum, made by the club is in the hands of the membership.

On the topic of new members, I could not agree more. There ought to be a level of immediacy between their cheque being cleared and forum access granted. If non members had full accesss...............
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
            Already in hand Peter
            As far as the pitstop archive goes I just need to be sent a copy and I can then upload it - simple as that. I will be chasing up the temporary editor for the copies of the recent editions that arent there asap, after all - why have the resource and not use it (Steve - stop there - dont do it!!!!) I guess that we await a permananent ed and then they can upload them directly; the current one has a hell of a job to do following on from Sue and Im sure we would all agree he's doing a pretty damn good job.
            Same with membership - whoever takes on that role would be able to administer the online members list at the same time should they wish.
            Progress is steady Peter but gentle nudges are often the best way to maintain momentum. One thing I noticed was that the half dozen or so new members in pitstop dont have logins necessarily - thats something we need to tie up as well and a new membership bod could easily sort it out.
            Thanks, Cameron, you and I (and Steve) are all more or less on the same wavelength. And I appreciate your commitment and responsiveness to these points.
            What I don't understand is why it takes a question from a member like myself to raise this point which so flamming obvious.
            I think we were promised Committee Meeting minutes on the new website as well, but not a jot has appeared.

(And you wonder why I don't post a link on Madabout to this forum?)

Comment

We, I dont mind being included in this group, really do fundementally agree.
              It took four months and several exchanges of emails for the Committee to send me copies of the minutes, something they have repeatedly said are available on demand.
              I could convert these to pdf format and send them to Cameron for publication or general circulation, but despite being authorised copies, the Committee would be outraged if I did so.
              That is unless someone would like to stick their head above the parapet and clearly agree that course of action, saving the committee extra work.

We are not just three. There are many other similar voices but it seems that the Committee are deaf to the flaming obvious.

PS read my signature.
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

In fairness to the commitee -they do a great job and I truly believe that they have been brilliant, its very easy for those of us who are good with IT to be critical and sometimes we are guilty of assuming that issues which are important to some are equally important to others. Its a hard job to do - no reward and constantly having to look over your shoulder to see who is going to criticise next. I would be the first to say I am grateful and very happy with what the commitee have achieved so far, maybe it hasnt gone as quickly as I would have liked (in terms of the website for certain) but their hands are quite tied as they have to make sure every decision they make is reasoned and balanced.
                My advice here guys is that Im sure the commitee want what is best for the whole club - and remember theres only 1/3 of us signed up to the forum- so let's try and be supportive - dont get me wrong, its important to challenge and push for change - but we need to be aware that there are other factors which may have higher priorities than the website/forum. I guess that will change in the future as more members come online but until then, I suggest gentle persuasion is key?

Comment

Got mine today, yippee !!
                  Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                    Already in hand Peter
                    As far as the pitstop archive goes I just need to be sent a copy and I can then upload it - simple as that. I will be chasing up the temporary editor for the copies of the recent editions that arent there asap, after all - why have the resource and not use it
                    Hi Cameron,
                    do you have any update on this request?

thanks

Peter

Comment

Hi guys, just picked this thread up. I have already sent Cameron the Pitstop copy and doubtless he will
                      upload soon - if not already.

I'm sorry that it is such a thin issue, but if I don't get the articles to put in it, there is only so much padding
                      I can make up

Without wishing to cause offence, and start another rant I and all the committee members have a life outside
                      the MOC and other things to do with our time instead of sitting at a computer waiting for another criticism/request
                      for yet another thing to be done.
                      ................ In my personal case just lately I've been rather busy dealing with a family bereavement.

I wonder why it should be expected that things are done immediately ?

Where's the rush ? Cannot people wait for the volunteers to do things when they can ?

Edit : The mag goes to the printers, for example Monday Jan 16, they then send me a posted proof copy and after
                      I give the OK they set about printing. Meantime Memsec sends printer name/address lists for the posting, and if all
                      goes well copies should be in the post around end of month....then you're at the mercy of Royal Mail !
                      Last edited by dcunn; 20-02-12, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I had mine weeks ago. I've said this before; there should be an 'opt out' for the hard copy of Pitstop, as mine usually ends up in the bin unread which is rather a waste of the club money. I wonder how many others do the same?

Comment

I think that the production of Pitstop is a great acheivement especially when our Editor is in a temporary position and the bar has previously been set so high.
                          No complaint from me there.
                          Its early days and the links between the pre established systems and the new format Website/Forum and the Mem sec, Editor and others need tweaking to work efficiently.

But its an odd thing, it seems that Pitstops are sent in batches. Mine was franked 14 Feb, well after some had read, or not, and filed or thrown their copy away.

I am just curious how this can happen and why 600 copies cannot go out, all in one day?

I used the services of a mailing house. The printers phoned them up the day before they delivered, I sent them the mailing list, and by end of the day they were all enveloped, addressed, stamped, presorted, and collected by Royal Mail to be delivered the following day.

Whilst I suspect that some would prefer to read online, many would prefer a paper copy. You would still need a copy for formal club announcemets like the AGM agenda, though I wonder why the agendas are not sent seperatly to ensure they arrive one month before as it says in the constitution.

I think we have bigger fish to fry.................
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                          X