Camber angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camber angles

What should the camber angle be on the front of a cabrio ? Just checking mine

Re: Camber angles

hi Lee
    Just check if they as both the same.
    The back won't be

Comment

Well the progress made so far is I have never been really happy with the negative camber on the front wheels and now with the 17" wheels it is enhanced. I was not really sure what I had as the car is Granada cosworth based and wondered if I had Granada track control arms as they are 8mm longer than sierra but it turns out I have sierra hub carriers with Granada 5 stub hubs with sierra track control arms and a mis matched track control arms. So what to do next I can either bring the top out or the bottom in, top out will put the wheel very close to the outside edge of the wing if not out side the wing so think I need to bring he bottom in. I am about to order a set of adjustable track control arms off comp brake unless anyone has got another sudgest ion ?

Comment

Changing (increasing) the ride height may reduce the neg camber - low-profile tyres are known to increase neg camber because as the rolling centre lowers the camber at the top leans in more. Thus larger diameter rolling radius may help.
        increasing neg camber can help the ride characteristics on a standard car and can easily be done with a spring lowering kit, lower profile tyres etc, but you only need about 30' to generate a good turn-in thrust - much more upsets the handling and makes the tyres wear out too quickly. What readings to do have Lee?

Comment

Never knew of the existence of adjustable track control arms for sierra. Great idea.

Comment

I dont think the do exist Frans, I know you can get them for other fords though so why not?IMG_1296.JPG

Comment

Thats the chaps car all apart awaiting the new TCA's will let you know how I get on once fitted..........

Comment

Not cheap - £170-185/pair.

You seem to be taking a similar route for the front suspension as you did with your Roadster?
                Will be very interested to see how you get on with these Lee? Are you planning to also fit adjustable compression struts to be able to set up the caster as well?
                Last edited by Mike; 07-03-12, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Hi mike the negative camber on the cabrio was not good, simlair route to the roadster but much easier as I don't have to start welding etc.The track control arms are on order and will report back my findings once fitted but they seem a good bit of kit. Not sure about the compression struts may do going to try it first I know Simon says good things about them. Will get some before and after photos on.
                  Question is what should I set the camber to ? Any ideas I know what a sierra should be but is that correct ?

Comment

Hi Lee.
                    I have an old Cabrio build manual and it says as follows:

"The main criterion when adjusting suspension height is wheel camber. When using the car for normal road use the wheels should be set vertical. For competition lower the height to give 1deg of negative camber. This will inevitably reduce the ground clearance under the exhaust. ................. As a rough guide with 205-65-15 tyres the height under the front cross member should be 270mm and beneath the rear floor 230mm. ............ Front wheel toe in should be adjusted to between 1 and 2mm, the same as the Sierra and tyre pressures should be 25psi all round"

(Note. When I bought my Hunter, Mark at Marlin suggested 18 to 20 psi all round with my 205/55/16 Toyo Proxes T1R tyres).

Hope this helps. Peter.

Comment

Hello,
                      I fitted the adjustable TCA to my Cabrio V8 3.9 in 1995. I did not have issue with in the 11yrs that ran them ref MOT or wear. I still have them fitted to my Cabrio which is still under going a major rebuild.

Paul
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well they are on the car great service by compbrake 1 day delivery just in the process of setting it all up now thanks for all the hints and tips

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
                          Well they are on the car great service by compbrake 1 day delivery just in the process of setting it all up now thanks for all the hints and tips
                          Lee

Any photos?

Mike

Comment

Hi mike next few days

Comment

Here are some pictures of before and after, I have set the camber to zero and -1 toe in, the car from the front looks much better but have not road tested it and will be unable to until the roads clean up.
                              I would highly recomend both the TCA's and the service from Compbrake
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X