Camber angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camber angles

looks splendid Lee! That was a hell of a lot of camber - better the handling was a bit lairy, leading to sudden break away oversteer if you aren't careful.
    By the way, did you notice there is a speck of dirt on your garage floor!!! I couldnt work in such an enviornment! lol,.

Comment

That looks great, Lee.
      I shimmed the rear hub carriers today. Neutral toe-in and almost neutral camber now. Maybe the tyres will last a little longer.

Comment

Hi Lee.
        My Hunter front camber looks just like your "before" photo so you have set me thinking! Interested to know how it handles when you have tried it out.

BTW the washers on your anti roll bar are the wrong way around! The flattest washer should be at the back (thrust face during braking) and the more dished one at the front. This info from a Sierra parts sheet. See attached photo of mine. The white is the special grease supplied with the Superflex bushes and the photo was take some time ago, before I fitted the thinner anti roll bar. Peter
        arb washers1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Frans de Vries View Post
          That looks great, Lee.
          I shimmed the rear hub carriers today. Neutral toe-in and almost neutral camber now. Maybe the tyres will last a little longer.
          Hi Frans

How did you adjust the rear hubs?
          What did you use to measure toe and camber?

Mike

Comment

Hi Peter thanks for that silly me all fixed now.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post

.........the photo was take some time ago, before I fitted the thinner anti roll bar. Peter
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]1995[/ATTACH]
              Peter
              Did fitting the smaller diameter ARB make any noticable difference?
              Mike

Comment

I am interested too if it made any difference as I have the 28mm arb

Comment

The roadholding / cornering stability is as good and predictable as always BUT the ride is significantly more comfortable. The 28mm was like having a solid front axle and cart springs. Minor holes in the road would make the whole front end "shudder". The 24mm is more like having independant front suspension. Since fitting the 24mm bar I have also backed off the rear shocks one click softer to add to the improvement in comfort.

As a rough comparison, when jacking up the front end under one side of the ARB, with the 28mm ARB the other wheel was off the ground after the first was only a couple of inches off. With the 24mm ARB the jacked side came up noticably further before the other side lifted. This extra movement translates into a much less harsh ride over a country road with an undulating surface. I would highly reccommend using the 24mm ARB on a Cabrio. BTW I bought mine from KitFit. Peter.

John at KitFit also supplied the D-bushes and new U-clamps required to fit the 24mm ARB. Peter.
                  Last edited by greyV8pete; 10-03-12, 07:52 PM. Reason: Bushes & Clamps note added.

Comment

Hi Peter I will have a look at stoneleigh if thats ok not sure what to do yet

Comment

Can do Lee. Just a thought though. Not sure what engine you have as the 28mm and 24mm ARBs have the centre crank in different directions. The 28mm is a forward crank and the 24mm is a backwards crank. For my Rover V8 (3.9i) the backwards crank actually gave me more clearance to change the oil filter but was still well clear of the sump. I know there were a lot of forum posts some time ago about the BMW engines needing the 28mm ARB to get enough sump clearance. In one extreme case Marlin cut the centre section out and welded some jumbo washers on to locate the separate parts in the D-rubbers. A nicer alternative used by one person was to use adjustable compression struts. Peter.

See http://www.burtonpower.com/mp593.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Hi Frans

How did you adjust the rear hubs?
                        What did you use to measure toe and camber?

Mike
                        Hi Mike,
                        I measured using the method described by KitCarGirl (??) in the item "Rear wheel Tracking" on this forum. Shims were placed between the rear hub and the trailing arm. There are four bolts. Shims under the upper bolts will adjust the camber, shims under the two front bolts will adjust toe-in. It is trial and error. My son calls it "fuzzy logics", but after several tries I got it right with about 1mm for camber and 0,5 mm for toe-in correction.

Comment

Some while ago now I think it was Derek Jones who did an article in Pitstop and he included a chart showing before and after rear toe in and shim thicknesses required for each bolt position. I believe that Derek was the first person to post about the rear wheel tracking errors on the Cabrio. As I have got through a third set of rear tyres and the fronts are only half worn I must do this as the next job on mine! Peter.

Comment

Well first drive today since doing the camber angles, much better precise steering into corners and much better over bumpy roads. Will give it 100 miles and recheck everything.
                            Would recommend highly the mod and the mixture of rear tracking correction.

Comment

Working...
                            X