What suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What suspension?

My last experience with kit cars was in the seventies when I owned a Dutton (Lotus 7), a Jago Jeep and a Manta Ray beach buggy.

Now once again I am trying to come to grips with the current cars on offer. As I said in another posting I would like simple mechanics so am looking at early versions of the Marlin.

It's relatively easy to see the use of Marina and Ford pinto engines, but I cant unravel the rear axle / front suspension combo's. Most I have come across so far have Marina all round but I am surprised how many owners dont really know.

I am guessing that if the host car was a Ford then all the Ford bits would have been transferred across.

Can anyone fill in the details?

Re: What suspension?

First read

First cars were all Triumph based suspension, front and rear, then Hybrid cars with Triumph front and Marina Rear, and finally all Marina.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
      First read

First cars were all Triumph based suspension, front and rear, then Hybrid cars with Triumph front and Marina Rear, and finally all Marina.
      Thanks

If its a Ford engine with Marina suspension is it likely to be on a Q plate as its not a single donor car?

Comment

The Q plate is for a car where the year of original manufacture is uncertain based on a scoring system of the components used. It gets skewed because there are some Marlins that are still DVLA registered a Morris Marinas. If the original builder did not care, he might, as mine was, build from one donor, but still end up with a Q.

No Marlin can be built younger than 1979, the donor might be a 60's Triumph or a post 1971 Marina.

Once a car has a Q plate it cannot be changed or personalised.

Comment

Working...
        X