2 core/ 3 core radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 core/ 3 core radiator

Well im gonna take the advise given. Dose anybody now a place in somerset where i can get my radiator modified.
    My car has a mgb engine with a viva radiator. Do mini radiators fit as iv seen a 3 core 1 for a good price.
    But i dont mind spending upto £150 getting mine modifed money is abit tight atm the tho.

Re: 2 core/ 3 core radiator

Steven

For £150 you can get a brand new 3 core radiator made to your specification.
    Run a Google search for a local supplier - I've just found this guy for example:

Offer them pound notes, and they'll keep the price keen!
    Don't let them try to kid you they cost more.
    Good luck
    Mike

Originally posted by gary.price View Post
    Well im gonna take the advise given. Dose anybody now a place in somerset where i can get my radiator modified.
    My car has a mgb engine with a viva radiator. Do mini radiators fit as iv seen a 3 core 1 for a good price.
    But i dont mind spending upto £150 getting mine modifed money is abit tight atm the tho.

Comment

Iv just emailed them thank you.

Comment

The only two original radiators that fit are HA,HB Viva and a Morris 1800 Landcrab. Both are now quite rare.
        The real cure is to modify the Viva radiator, and the price Mike quotes shoud be more than enough except for the dreaded VAT.

It can be a good time to have a drain plug fitted in the bottom header.

I have just added a document to the Marina Roadster Owners Group that collates many individual experiences, in an effort to solve the Overheating problem.

Steven will recognise it.
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 28-02-12, 08:46 AM.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I cant seem to find any anywhere. Iv just removed the rad so will be ringing round tomorrow.

Stevejgreen thats a very good write up in the owbers group, thanks

Comment

Chevette rads also fit. Mine is a 4 row Chevette. The problem is not usually the rad but airflow through the bonnet. The sloping wings not only create lift they also create high pressure under the car, where the hot air from the radiator is trying to exit. The louvres in the side of the bonnet are surprisingly restrictive.

Make sure that no air can get round the radiator and that it all has to go through.

Comment

Hi Steven
              As I live close to Taunton I used Raysons to rebuild and make my rad 3core for my roadster for just over £100 their service was very good and It did the trick!
              I also got Marlin to put a row of loovres in both halves of the bonnet which I think is really worthwhile and makes a big difference,although this will mean a re-paint!
              Regards
              Bryan
              Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi im glad you had a good experience with raysons im gonna ring them tomorrow. Iv already got loovres in my bonnet but i do need to pack the bottom of my rad. My rad is leaking at the top abit so i thought i just aswell get it fixed and modified in 1 go. Where are you from then bryan?? just being nosy lol.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Hi,
                  This thread may also be of some help. The Honda Civic idea looks like a good one!!!

Jon
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                  - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks for the link jon. Iv just given my Rad to raysons in taunton i hope its not gonna me loads lol.

Comment

............I hope you agreed a price before giving them the go ahead

Originally posted by gary.price View Post
                      Iv just given my Rad to raysons..... i hope its not gonna me loads lol.
                      ?????

Comment

Hes gonna ring me tomorrow with a price. But it shouldnt be to bad from hearing what other people have said about him. Plus i want the filler moving abit aswell.

Comment

Good opportunity for a bit of customisation. I found a drain plug useful, it's a more controlled way than pulling a hose off.
                          MOC member since 05/97
                          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Yeah i would like that tbh, handy having a drain plug. im just having the cap moved back abit so i dont need to losen the grill to fill Plus it was cracked ther anyway so i thought it was a good excuse. Trouble is due to being very ill last year by having a stroke iv got no money so can only spend when i need to .

Comment

For what it is worth, I spent this morning fitting a Civic rad into my Mk 2 Fiat 2.0 DOHC roadster. Radiator was from ebay, marked as a 'HONDA CIVIC 1992-2000 ALUMINIUM HIGH FLOW RACE RADIATOR' and was a bit under 70 quid.

The old radiator was presumably the original and was badly cracked around the top hose connection. The new radiator core thickness is 42mm. Build quality seems reasonable and it has a drain plug.
                              It fits in the space without major issues - I needed to bend the nose cowling up a fraction to get it past the steering clamps but nothing drastic. The new radiator is a little narrower (roughly 5cm) and taller (3cm maybe, depends where you measure from) than the original. I plan to make aluminium brackets to block the airflow either side and mount it by bolting through between cores with a backing plate.
                              Hose connectors look to be 28mm rather than 32mm. The connector location at the top is not ideal for the Fiat as it is in line with the (sideways facing) outlet on the top of the engine so hose will need to go through three right angles.
                              Otherwise, so far, it looks OK.
                              My 2 cents (dollar not euro) and sympathy for last year...
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X