Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2.0 DOHC fan switch

Originally posted by chris.cussen View Post
    Electrical current is not 'used up' as it flows, so you will need the same rating wire all the way. Like water in a pipe what goes in one end comes out the other.
    Chris

That was my understanding too: so why does Premier wiring provide heavy duty live cables to ancillaries (such as the fan, hooter, fuel pump etc.) but only provide a length of thinner wire to make the earths from?

Comment

Re: 2.0 DOHC fan switch

I'll pass on that why Premier Wiring supply thin earth wire Mike!

The wire to earth should be the same rating as the wire to the ancillaries, with one small caveat.
      Thin wire has its own internal resistance, and trying to pass a large current down a long thin length has two effects. The first is the wire itself reduces the current, and that is proportional to the length of the wire, and the second is the wire will get warm, or in extreme cases hot.

If the earth wire is quite short then the loss of current may not be highly significant and the heating effect may not be significant either.

I would be tempted to use some meaty wire for the earths on the ancillaries that take a lot of power.

Comment

Working...
      X