Mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirrors

Just looking at the mirrors on the cabrio has anyone put any different types on their cars other than the std marlin mirrors ?

Re: Mirrors

Yes I have.

Comment

Yes. I had these door mirrors supplied from Marlin Sportscars just after I bough the car. Not cheap as the mounting plates are made specially for Marlin, but at least the mirrors are horizontal to match the orientation of my eyes! The driver's mirror on the windscreen is a Ford dipping mirror. I believe it was for a late model Fiesta. Peter.
      Mirrors Hun.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
        Just looking at the mirrors on the cabrio has anyone put any different types on their cars other than the std marlin mirrors ?
        Hi Lee

I fitted these - they are more period than the Marlin supplied ones.

Comment

Thanks Peter and Mike certainly food for thought, SVC have some simlair to peter's so we will see.

Comment

Hi Pete, I'd like to change the old portrait mirrors and fit these on my Hunter. Any idea which suppllier Marlin got them from ? Many thanks. Clive

Comment

Try Tex Automotive. Just about any combination of stem and head you could want. Not cheap though....

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Or Car Builder Solutions, CBS, and order the free catalogue. I got some lovely mirrors for my Roadster from there.
                Gareth

Comment

Originally posted by monomer5 View Post
                  Hi Pete, I'd like to change the old portrait mirrors and fit these on my Hunter. Any idea which suppllier Marlin got them from ? Many thanks. Clive
                  The mirrors on my Hunter were the standard stainless ones but Marlin had a local chap that made up the revised plinths to turn them through 90 degrees. They weren’t cheap but worth it for the improved visibility. That was 16 years ago!
                  EDDC8C68-4AAF-433F-9B02-32AB6C403C4C.jpeg

My son fitted these black ones to his Hunter. They needed a hole drilled and tapped in the window frame. Rear view was excellent as they looked over the top of the rear wings. Purchased from Kit Spares, link below. Peter.

https://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.ph...&search=Mirror
                  Last edited by greyV8pete; 08-09-20, 01:18 PM. Reason: Photo added.

Comment

I initially tried to dismantle and rebuild the original door mirrors, thinking that if I swapped left->right they might change to landscape orientation - It didn’t work.
                    Eventually fitted these from Car-Builders, they’re stainless, not chrome, but look the part.

As you can see it is easy to restore the damage by simply reinstating the chrome-headed (but difficult to remove) wing retaining bolt.

I’ve stopped side-swiping lorries and there must be a group of pedal and motor-cyclists who feel a lot safer, now that I can see them, and the curb edges too!
                    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

I have found the disadvantage if wing mirrors is that you can’t avoid the glare from headlights behind, especially the 4x4 tailgating fraternity. With a door mounted mirror it is easy to move your head to one side, or as a last resort put your hand over the side window!

Comment

Many thanks to Pete and everyone for the great mirror advice

Comment

If as I think your Cabrio is the V6 Cosworth, ex Lee Hunter at one time. Then it was fitted with compression struts. If you have picked up on the threads about these struts then you have probably checked the chassis where the mounting blocks are ?

Comment

Hi Robin, No luck with Tex mirrors unfortunately. Their Chris Parsons, tried mixing and matching some stems with mirrors but couldn't make a fit ! Next stop CBS !

Comment

Hi - I adapted the original Sierra mirrors, reshaping the base and building it up with epoxy putty. Bit of a struggle getting the wiring into the door, but it can be done. I think I have the only Cabrio with electrically heated and adjustable mirrors. All depends on how much effort you are prepared to put in! The irony of it was that the mirrors failed SVA and I had to fit Marlin ones to get through, and then change them back. Dave.

Comment

Working...
                              X