Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mirrors

1. #11 Re: Mirrors 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    I have found the disadvantage if wing mirrors is that you can’t avoid the glare from headlights behind, especially the 4x4 tailgating fraternity. With a door mounted mirror it is easy to move your head to one side, or as a last resort put your hand over the side window!

2. #12 Re: Mirrors 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Many thanks to Pete and everyone for the great mirror advice

3. #13 Re: Mirrors 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    If as I think your Cabrio is the V6 Cosworth, ex Lee Hunter at one time. Then it was fitted with compression struts. If you have picked up on the threads about these struts then you have probably checked the chassis where the mounting blocks are ?

4. #14 Re: Mirrors 
    Hi Robin, No luck with Tex mirrors unfortunately. Their Chris Parsons, tried mixing and matching some stems with mirrors but couldn't make a fit ! Next stop CBS !

5. #15 Re: Mirrors 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi - I adapted the original Sierra mirrors, reshaping the base and building it up with epoxy putty. Bit of a struggle getting the wiring into the door, but it can be done. I think I have the only Cabrio with electrically heated and adjustable mirrors. All depends on how much effort you are prepared to put in! The irony of it was that the mirrors failed SVA and I had to fit Marlin ones to get through, and then change them back. Dave.

6. #16 Re: Mirrors 
    regular forum contributor Club Member philmcgrath's Avatar
    I picked up a pair of Morgan mirrors for £40 on EBay. The top hole of the standard mirror is used, drill and tap a new hole lower down. Be careful to miss the glass channel. Seal up the unused original lower hole. Fix the new mirrors using the Morgan gasket.

The mirrors are adjustable for width and angle so I was able to see the sides for reversing and also see above the rear wheel arches while driving.

EC340D1C-9065-4E80-96CA-3D3E175D020A.jpegE2EAB751-1B7B-4D61-AFDD-03BB169CBBD6.jpeg68EC331B-714A-4F47-9386-371128CF6265.jpeg

7. #17 Re: Mirrors 
    club member Club Member
    Hi All

Yes Cabrio mirrors I have also been looking for new mirrors for my recently acquired Cabrio. Failing to find anything suitable I looked again at what was already fitted (working on the principle that I can only wee with the willy I've got ) and I came up with this solution I swapped the mirror heads over and made a conversion piece that goes between the mounting and the mirror head and changes the angle for the mirror head to mount on, I've not had chance to try them yet has I only fitted them today I'll report back once I've tried them out.Cabrio Mirror Converters Fitted Rs.jpgCabrio Side Mirror Convertor Rs.jpgCabrio Both Mirrors Done Rs.jpg

8. #18 Re: Mirrors 
    club member Club Member
    Pitstop issue 211, Geoff Beech's piece entitled "Mirror Madness". I have copied his method of mounting with the minor variation of using larger mirrors. Part numbers for mirrors and stems supplied if your interested. My mirrors' outer edge are a fraction within the vertical line upwards from the running boards...and they're spring loaded anyway so resistant to accidental elbow bashing.
    Bill

9. #19 Re: Mirrors 
    That looks a neat and relatively simple solution. Let me know how its works, as I'd like to try that . Thanks . Clive

10. #20 Re: Mirrors 
    club member Club Member
    Hi Clive
    Yes they are a great improvement over the original position I would still like some bigger mirror heads fitted with flat mirror glass so you get a true reflection (pardon the pun) of the distance of following vehicles. So its still a task in progress.
    Regards,
    Mick.