Water collecting on the running boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water collecting on the running boards

When it rains I get pools of water on the running boards, thes form betweem the rubber strips and are as deep as the strips. The water stagnates and encourages lots of nice green mould. I am considering drilling some drain holes to stop this. Do others have the same problem? It didn't happen on my Roadster. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Regars

Nick

Re: Water collecting on the running boards

Nick I have holes in the wings inbetween the rubber strips, however i have not been out in the rain yet to see if they work.

Comment

Hi, I get the pooling water too. I keep mine under cover so the problem only appears if I am out in the rain or I wash the car. In heavy rain (almost every time I take her out !) the water leaves the rear of the running boards by going up and over the rear wing and makes a super plume but probably not appreciated by those behind me. I haven't drilled holes but I may try drilling sideways through the strakes to allow the water to drain off the side of the running board. I worry that drilling holes across the running board will weaken it. Any thoughts Danny?
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I have spaced the running boards away from the chassis by the thickness of 2 S.S. washers to leave a gap of about 2mm to allow the water to drain away. I also have holes adjacent to the alum/rubber strips to allow water to drain away.
        This set -up does away with the wet coat that most Berli drivers/passengers get when entering/leaving the car.
        Having said that in heavy rain I still get the water running up the rear wing and discharging ito the face of following vehicles, though the addition of mud flaps has cut down some of the "plume effect".

Comment

I had the same problem, but I am an just in the processes or re-building the car after a respray and I an ditching the running strips, in favour of rubber matting and I am hoping the water is easier to wipe off...
          Attached Files

Comment

that's nice...can the running boards actually take the weight of a person? I dont think my fibreglass ones would.

Comment

Yup, they take the weight of, er, Mrs Rescueman! Its the only way she can climb in to the car. I regularly sit on the running boards. (head in hands, out of ideas etc.) They do seem to be pretty strong.
              Last edited by Dane_Rescueman; 17-04-12, 07:14 PM. Reason: Spooling mastikes

Comment

Hi Danny, I think Tim's is the best idea, as drilled holes (at least small ones) don't allow the water to drain away, in my experiences they just seem to block up.
                Regards.
                Terry

Comment

I don´t think you will ever get rid of all the water on the running boards you just try to see it as one of "the joys of Marlin". I have drilled 5, 3mm holes evenly spaced under each of the aluminium strips that hold the rubber strips. You can´t see the holes and the aluminium prevents them from getting blocked by leaves and sludge etc. In heavy rain I still do get a build up of water but it drains quickly off.
                  Anyone got any good ideas about how to prevent the build up of 5 feet of snow on the runningboards?

Comment

Put car in garage when snow expected LoL DC

Comment

Hey James, I immediately though of you and snow! You just have to drive faster to blow it off.
                      On my way home from Stonleigh it was stair rod rain and the M5 was flooded. I kept the speed up and left the Berlinetta plumes behind me for the other drivers to enjoy. Spectacular ! I am always surprised how solid the Berli is at speed on the deluge flooded motorway. One day I'll go out in the sunshine!
                      Last edited by Dane_Rescueman; 10-05-12, 07:55 PM. Reason: Spollign mastikes

Comment

Working...
                      X