another query from another potential new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another query from another potential new member

I am happy to keep posting these as they come in. The guys will be able to see the posts and any repsonses...this one sounds interesting and might get an interesting discussion going.

from zedhex...

"can you post the following questions for me please?

I have a really nicely sorted 1JZGTE 2.5 litre straight six engine from a Toyota Soarer (currently running with 400hp). I am thinking of putting it into a Marlin Sportster, rather than using a BMW engine. I would also like to use as much as possible from my donor car (LSD diff, rear axle, steering etc.) Has anyone ever created a marlin sportster using anything other than a BMW parts? If so how did it go?

One issue I can foresee would be what to do with the intercooler? I haven't seen any Marlins with a turbocharged engine, so I have no idea if this would be feasible.

I really hope this would be possible with a Marlin, as the only alternative seems to be a Luego Viento, and they are really not the prettiest kit car around. "

I think that anything is possible and that this club posseses the brain power to do anything like this I mean, jez fitted a massive lump into his roadster, surely the sportster has enough room? hmm interesting intit!

Re: another query from another potential new member

Where there's a welder there's a way...
    I'd be inclined to keep the running gear stock (uprated as necessary to suit increased power), simply because the chassis is designed around it (i.e. so you don't go screwing the geometry up)...power units on the other hand are always open to interpretation..!
    As for an intercooler, if all else fails silencer on one side, intercooler or charge cooler on the other..?
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Now Ive got the daddy of that a 3ltr straight six Twin Turbo Toyota currently around 340Bhp
      As Jez says, where there's a welder there is a way.
      There dont seem to be many kits around with big Toyota donors.
      Instead of an intercooler it may be easier to fit a charge cooler. Oh Jez said that.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Sounds interesting, I am still looking at two possible engines for the Sportster as a new project V8's of course 1 runs turbos the other is supercharged.

Simply stripping and refitting into a Sportster from a Soarer, would be difficult as from memory Soarer's are not small.

I did look at it back in 2005 when considering a Nissan Skyline R33 GTR that had been wrapped around a lamppost but it was very tight & difficult with the back end, due to budget.

As many have said before it is possible, anything is, but mainly depends on timescale & budget.

Feel free to contact me direct - [email protected] or call 07500 861193

Jono

Comment

Working...
        X