Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Cabrio and Hunter Group

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group 
    frequent forum contributor terryreed1664's Avatar
    Now, Now, your only jealous.
    I had one like that and the wheel fell off.

2. #12 Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group 
    frequent forum contributor terryreed1664's Avatar
    Do you have to fill the water back up after its run out!!!
    I had one like that and the wheel fell off.

3. #13 Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Glad to read I wasn't the only one feeling left out

Mine's not set up at all at the moment - a bare chassis on trestles plus a big pile of parts... It did have a 1600 Pinto from the Sierra donor but it hasn't been on the road for years and I'm currently part way through a complete strip-down and rebuild. It'll be fitted with the BMW M50 engine from a 1994 325 when I'm done, very much inspired and informed by those on the Madabout Kitcars forum who've gone down the same or a similar path (I'm user 'mashtun' over on that forum, btw).
    Hi Mark

Have you taken offence and refused to join the "All Ford" group?

If I'm honest, I'm not convinced there is a need to differentiate between Cabrios: bar one, I believe they are all on Sierra chassis.
    There are of course sub groups of engine /gearbox choice, principally Rover V8, and BMW 6s: but even then within the "All Ford" donor, the choice of engines will be quite wide - bog standard 1.6L through to V6 Cossies.

I guess there are around 20-25 Rover V8 Cabrios on the MOC membership? - and as for BMW power, I am aware of only 4 BMW M50 Cabrios, if you include Mark & myself (+ Chris Cunliffe + the original Marlin demonstrator) And a similar number of M20s?- I know of two for certain, but believe there may be a couple more (Ex - Peter Morris & Alan Hogg).

So is it worth creating sub groups?

Mike

4. #14 Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group 
    regular forum contributor
    ] Hi, all, has anyone came up with way of fitting engine bay undertray/protecter for cabrio with bmw 2.5, just finshed full service and cambelt,, notice underneath very exsposed...pat

5. #15 Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obnail View Post
    ] Hi, all, has anyone came up with way of fitting engine bay undertray/protecter for cabrio with bmw 2.5, just finshed full service and cambelt,, notice underneath very exsposed...pat
    My Hunter V8 sump and gearbox is pretty close to the ground You need to get used to driving around the nasty brown triangular plastic speed bumps! Peter.

6. #16 Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group 
    Im braining idea to fit undersheild without drilling holes at moment, will give some protection against those nasty things that stick up, or anything that could come up and foul timing wheel...

7. #17 Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi Pat. There are two different sumps for the M20 depending on whether it came from a 3 or 5 series. The 5 series is more preferable because the lowest part is at the front (almost beween the front wheels), it's much worse if the lowest bit is almost in the middle of the car, just where the car comes down after the front wheels have gone over the sleeping plod. David

8. #18 Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group 
    Quote Originally Posted by copperleaves11 View Post
    Hi Pat. There are two different sumps for the M20 depending on whether it came from a 3 or 5 series. The 5 series is more preferable because the lowest part is at the front (almost beween the front wheels), it's much worse if the lowest bit is almost in the middle of the car, just where the car comes down after the front wheels have gone over the sleeping plod. David
    Simon Gregory used a 5 series as his donor, so Pat's Cabrio has the 5 series sump.

For the benefit of anyone else considering this option, it can only be achieved by eliminating the conventional Sierra Anti Roll bar which would foul the 5 series sump. Simon substituted his ARB for adjustable compression struts to locate his Track Control Arms. There are both advantages and drawbacks from taking this route. The drawback is the loss of an "anti-roll" bar, though many suggest the Cabrio being lighter and lower than the Sierra, does not require one.
    The advantages are considerable: the sump is positioned much closer to the axle line, significantly reducing the likelyhood of hitting a full width sleeping policeman (though it makes no difference to these damned raised squaresthat are appearing all over the place). The biggest benefit is simplifying the whole suspension set up: by using adjustable compresssion struts the caster can be set easily, and acurately in situ - especially if Powerflex (or similar) bushes are used to replace the standard Ford rubber bushes.
    Last edited by Mike; 25-03-2015 at 10:13 PM.

9. #19 Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group 
    Hi, mike yes its a 5 series, have done measurement checks on clearance on worst square one we have near workshop, so im looking to fit short small protector cover from front to just past pick up wheel as to get little protection, from bits flying up, im hoping to do it without drilling holes or using existing set up fixing brackets to bolts already in place, at moment removed all front and car had full service all oils and cambelt, and all belts.. as im new owner of car im looking forward to meeting you guys get some input...all helps, one little glitch I had was on way home header tank leeking , but now have brought new one and having redesighned to fit, its slightly bigger but it should be okay....thnx for all ..pat

10. #20 Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group 
    Quote Originally Posted by obnail View Post
    Hi, mike yes its a 5 series, have done measurement checks on clearance on worst square one we have near workshop, so im looking to fit short small protector cover from front to just past pick up wheel as to get little protection, from bits flying up, im hoping to do it without drilling holes or using existing set up fixing brackets to bolts already in place, at moment removed all front and car had full service all oils and cambelt, and all belts.. as im new owner of car im looking forward to meeting you guys get some input...all helps, one little glitch I had was on way home header tank leeking , but now have brought new one and having redesighned to fit, its slightly bigger but it should be okay....thnx for all ..pat
    Hi Pat
    You are absolutely right to be doing this.

Your scenario reminded me of when I bought my donor 3 series engine and gearbox: I went to FAB and asked to see the engine running before I would buy it - it wouldn't start: not good since I had driven 180 miles to see it!. A quick check revealed the car had hit something in the road (nothing very high as externally there was only damage to the underside of the bumper - a island bollard?), but it had cracked the crank timing wheel, and damaged the crank timing sensor.
    Both items were swapped from another car in 20 minutes, and it struck up and ran beautifully straight away.

So, you are right to be trying to protect the timing wheel for sure.

Another job to add on to my list of "Things to do now my cabrio is on the road".........