This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cabrio and Hunter Group

Im braining idea to fit undersheild without drilling holes at moment, will give some protection against those nasty things that stick up, or anything that could come up and foul timing wheel...

Comment

Hi Pat. There are two different sumps for the M20 depending on whether it came from a 3 or 5 series. The 5 series is more preferable because the lowest part is at the front (almost beween the front wheels), it's much worse if the lowest bit is almost in the middle of the car, just where the car comes down after the front wheels have gone over the sleeping plod. David

Comment

Originally posted by copperleaves11 View Post
        Hi Pat. There are two different sumps for the M20 depending on whether it came from a 3 or 5 series. The 5 series is more preferable because the lowest part is at the front (almost beween the front wheels), it's much worse if the lowest bit is almost in the middle of the car, just where the car comes down after the front wheels have gone over the sleeping plod. David
        Simon Gregory used a 5 series as his donor, so Pat's Cabrio has the 5 series sump.

For the benefit of anyone else considering this option, it can only be achieved by eliminating the conventional Sierra Anti Roll bar which would foul the 5 series sump. Simon substituted his ARB for adjustable compression struts to locate his Track Control Arms. There are both advantages and drawbacks from taking this route. The drawback is the loss of an "anti-roll" bar, though many suggest the Cabrio being lighter and lower than the Sierra, does not require one.
        The advantages are considerable: the sump is positioned much closer to the axle line, significantly reducing the likelyhood of hitting a full width sleeping policeman (though it makes no difference to these damned raised squaresthat are appearing all over the place). The biggest benefit is simplifying the whole suspension set up: by using adjustable compresssion struts the caster can be set easily, and acurately in situ - especially if Powerflex (or similar) bushes are used to replace the standard Ford rubber bushes.
        Last edited by Mike; 25-03-15, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Hi, mike yes its a 5 series, have done measurement checks on clearance on worst square one we have near workshop, so im looking to fit short small protector cover from front to just past pick up wheel as to get little protection, from bits flying up, im hoping to do it without drilling holes or using existing set up fixing brackets to bolts already in place, at moment removed all front and car had full service all oils and cambelt, and all belts.. as im new owner of car im looking forward to meeting you guys get some input...all helps, one little glitch I had was on way home header tank leeking , but now have brought new one and having redesighned to fit, its slightly bigger but it should be okay....thnx for all ..pat

Comment

Originally posted by obnail View Post
            Hi, mike yes its a 5 series, have done measurement checks on clearance on worst square one we have near workshop, so im looking to fit short small protector cover from front to just past pick up wheel as to get little protection, from bits flying up, im hoping to do it without drilling holes or using existing set up fixing brackets to bolts already in place, at moment removed all front and car had full service all oils and cambelt, and all belts.. as im new owner of car im looking forward to meeting you guys get some input...all helps, one little glitch I had was on way home header tank leeking , but now have brought new one and having redesighned to fit, its slightly bigger but it should be okay....thnx for all ..pat
            Hi Pat
            You are absolutely right to be doing this.

Your scenario reminded me of when I bought my donor 3 series engine and gearbox: I went to FAB and asked to see the engine running before I would buy it - it wouldn't start: not good since I had driven 180 miles to see it!. A quick check revealed the car had hit something in the road (nothing very high as externally there was only damage to the underside of the bumper - a island bollard?), but it had cracked the crank timing wheel, and damaged the crank timing sensor.
            Both items were swapped from another car in 20 minutes, and it struck up and ran beautifully straight away.

So, you are right to be trying to protect the timing wheel for sure.

Another job to add on to my list of "Things to do now my cabrio is on the road".........

Comment

Hi Mike, now made up template one out of steel, bit of bending and welding, front mounting of 2 brackets is to 2 x bolts holding steering rack in place, and back 2 brackets to engine mount bolts, welding rigid sides and inner lenghths of strip steel to make more sturdy, will upload photo of completed test template when done...or template will become permanent...pat

Comment

Hi Mike, now made up template one out of steel, bit of bending and welding, front mounting of 2 brackets is to 2 x bolts holding steering rack in place, and back 2 brackets to engine mount bolts, welding rigid sides and inner lenghths of strip steel to make more sturdy, will upload photo of completed test template when done...or template will become permanent...pat
                Hi Pat. Not sure of the exact layout of your car but not sure that I would like to share mounting bolts with a steering rack etc. Worst case scenario in event of impact you could write off the rack too. For the sake of drilling wouldn't it be better to have the plate mounted independently? Peter.

Comment

Hi Pete/Mike, yes your right, now looking at rivet tapper screws to front and rear brackets to side of mount bracket...pat
                  Last edited by obnail; 27-03-15, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Pete, this is template rough to under car for protection...pls see picture, creating new fixing holes front member and rear holes to rear bracket frame and sides to protect oil filter....pat
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by cameronfurnival; 27-03-15, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Hi Pete, this is template rough to under car for protection...pls see picture, creating new fixing holes front member and rear holes to rear bracket frame and sides to protect oil filter....pat
                      Looking good. Wonder about restriction to cooling airflow? Not sure what's behind it though? Also maybe a bit thin if you are attacking speed bumps?

I would be thinking either thick plate for contact sport with speed humps, or just stainless mesh for flying stones?

This is the "temporary" cover for my oil cooler which is pretty vulnerable, until I add the new extra cooling rad and casing under there! Peter

NEW OIL COOLER.jpg
                      Last edited by cameronfurnival; 27-03-15, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Hi Pete, yes I think yours need that, ill probably put mesh in mine or small frill holes, its only to stop bits flying up to hit wheel and sump, due to swb ive still got reasonable clearance...pat

Comment

wandering past a garage in Exmouth today noticed a dark green cabrio on a Q plate in for M.O.T any ideas who the owner is guys?

Comment

Hi members, I'm a returning member to the club after some 25 years having recently purchasing a Cabrio. Question I have is what do I do replacing the windscreen? (It has a crack so cant be repaired) AutoGlass have said take the frame out and send it to them and then they can do it. Marlin Sports told then they cant supply the glass anymore.
                            Has anyone had the same issue and had the glass cut elsewhere? Appreciate any help you can offer.
                            Terry at Marlin Cars is looking for the original cutting dimensions, if found I will add them for future reference.
                            Cheers
                            Mike
                            Last edited by MikeV8Cabrio; 03-07-15, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I have a brand new screen [not for sale!] that I can trace the profile if that helps.

Comment

Hi there, thanks for the offer, I have removed the screen cover and made a template so should be OK now. Need to speak to autoglass if its all they need. For info I have created a CAD drawing of the glass and black painted area and sent to MarlinSports just in case anyone else has the same issue.CheersMike

Comment

Working...
                                X